back to article IBM's $16bn software supremo Mills reportedly exits

One of IBM’s most powerful executives is reportedly stepping down. Steve Mills, executive vice president software and systems, is said to have retired on New Year’s Eve, tidily in time for the end of IBM's fiscal year. He joined IBM in 1973. IBM did not respond for comment at the time of writing. Mills added the “systems” …

1. From the States

"...reportedly exists"

For the sake of his family and Mr. Mills himself, I hope so!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: "...reportedly exists"

I read that in the headline and started to wonder... talk about unintended clickbait...

2. msknight

Errr....

"IBM's $16bn software supremo Mills reportedly exists"

Shouldn't that be "Exits"?

3. HmmmYes

I've found his resignation letter on the interweb.

Fckit, Im off. Screw those innumerate MBA clowns and their instance EPS figures.

Tara

Steve.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@HmmmYes

Oh what one could say about Mills as he lead the SWG pillar.

He was definitely no saint and should have retired once Rometty got the CEO position.

Like most of the heritage IBMers, he's incompetent.

4. MyffyW Silver badge

I kind of miss IBM (even though they're still alive), my feelings toward them being somewhat akin to those toward the German Democratic Republic or Smallpox - intellectual curiosities that I am nonetheless quite glad to avoid direct experience of.

1. Martin Gregorie

I understand exactly how you feel about IBM and share similar attitudes.

Nonetheless, their QA was impressive in the '90s. I did quite a bit of development on S/88 (a rebadged Stratus), S/38 and AS/400 back then. All the hardware 'just ran' and I don't recall tripping over any bugs in OS/400 or any of its utilities or compilers.

5. os2hanl

Some of us remember him as a Microsoft plant!!

All I remember is that he hated OS/2 and did everthing to kill it in favor of Microsoft!

Os2hank

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like