back to article Kaminario salesmen will now be told why they're earning their dosh

Kaminario’s sales reps will now be able to know how and why they are being paid because a manual system to work out their compensation has been junked. The reps sell a highly-automated K2 all-flash array to deliver blindingly fast data access to applications needing data. Yet, when they filed their sales reports, there was a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

easy to screw your sales staff manually

not that they are selling anything to begin with. along with Coho, Violin, and Nimbus (boy they left without so much as a whisper). So many storage companies are going to simply stop existing in the next 12-18 months.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: easy to screw your sales staff manually

oh so bitter

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Cobblers...

...have the worst shoes

But who is wurs shod, than the shoemakers wyfe, With shops full of newe shapen shoes all hir lyfe?

[1546 J. Heywood Dialogue of Proverbs i. xi. E1V]

3. pinkmouse

Oh look, another PR puff piece...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

I presume you can see it that way. Or you can see it as gently mocking a company that is allegedly at the cutting edge of technology. You're obviously free to choose.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm

Although sales comp is probably the most difficult system to implement.

2. paulf
      Meh

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt it read more like a press release than an article (excepting the standard snipey El Reg comment in the last two paras).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree. I think this falls into the 'Good story, bro' category.

4. EMC is the Best <3

Haaaaha ha ha whatever. They already lost the flash race. Unless oracle buys em. Oh wait oracle wants storage to be slow to preserve that license revenue

5. Man Mountain

Quiet news day?

1. TheDrunkenBakers

Damn, you beat me to it.

Not sure how or why this has made it to e-print.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the "problem" with automation of any business process

is your individuals performing that process have to be consistently following a set process. It has to be legal, and appropriate. It has to be documented and explainable. It has to be a fair process and the knowledge of that process has to be shared completely outside of the department or cadre using it.

Thanks to being a "veteran" of some successful business process automation projects and involved in some long term "ongoing" ones, I've noticed a common theme among the ones that are the "last" to be addressed by any organization. The long term "ongoing" I peripherally support is one where certain highly paid individuals, under a small, secretive group of politically connected managers, have done decades of manual fudging and borderline illegal "massaging" of data reconciliation. As in, take a report of what we're doing, take a report of what the State says we should be doing, then do a third report that manually moves things around so the numbers match.

None of our automation worked until it was made clear to us that the only way the actual system would work is turning out to be twofold: First, get a data extract from the State that is used to generate the State report, and "reconcile" it at a table level. Our Apps team was tasked to develop web based frontends to allow the Seekrit Squirrel Squad to change data in a third table. Second step was to "automate" the process using the new reconciled table. So now the reports "match".

Local government at it's finest. waste, approved fraud, and stuff that is only "legal" because everyone in charge including the policy makers want it to be.

And no, our agency is not unique.

When you have everything aboveboard, however, and knowledgeable people to explain even the most convoluted process to the development staff, it all works out pretty well, only needing fine tuning if any rare or unique conditions are missed.

Apparently, anything "financial" resists automation everywhere. I suspect it's due to the whole "aboveboard" problem.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: the "problem" with automation of any business process

That sort of rings a bell...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon