back to article Apple buys mood sniffer AI firm Emotient. Stop rolling your eyes at me, user

Apple has acquired Emotient, a startup whose technology automates the analysis of facial expressions to measure the reaction of groups, and individuals, to events. Apple has not revealed the terms or the reason behind the acquisition, but Emotient has a patent portfolio enabling its technology to mine several different media …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Halfmad

Siri - Are you sad Coder? you should pop into the Apple Store to check out our new range of lightening cables and accessories.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Headmaster

Sounds like a great idea. I've often thought that some of my cables and accessories are way too heavy....

2. Halfmad

It'll mostly pick up either disbelief or smugness

at the price of the products.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Just wait...

Until your iPhone gets fecal recognition...

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Just wait...

You may think you're funny, but it gets serious when your iPhone takes a dump in your hand.

2. Halfmad

That'd certainly change the face of Instra"gram".

3. hplasm
      Devil

Re: Just wait... Until your iPhone gets fecal recognition...

"Siri- what is Windows 10?"

4. Captain DaFt

"Until your iPhone gets fecal recognition..."

Are you suggesting that Siri'll get smart enough to actually know shit?

1. NotBob
        Joke

Would that mean it was self-aware?

4. adnim
    Unhappy

First

"...and also medical situations in which expression in response to particular stimulus constitutes a symptom-aiding diagnosis." /me smiles

and then

"This is the currency of revenue growth and customer satisfaction, because emotions drive spending." /me frowns

Raise my hopes for an altruistic motive. And then piss all over them.

1. Mark 85

Re: First

Well... the second one explains the first one which results in profit. This is a bit scary when you think about it. Your camera or maybe CCTV in a shop will direct the sales types to your side and know exactly how to get you to make that purchase. I can see that certain political types would like this too... tailor the speech to the audience on the fly with better results than they get now.

I'm surprised that "improving the user experience" wasn't tossed in somewhere to justify this bit of snooping privacy invasion.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey Siri, call my boss

"Hey Siri, call my boss".

"Yes, I'll telephone your boss now. Don't worry I'm sure it won't be that bad."

6. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Happiness is mandatory, citizen...

... Failure to be happy is treasonous and can be punished by termination.

- Your friend, The Computer.

(Mine's the Red Security Clearance one)

7. hi_robb

Err

Siri - "your wife's calling Dave, she looks angry"

8. Yugguy

can you read my mind?

Then you do NOT know how I am feeling, and you never will.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Re: can you read my mind?

Irritated and disdainful.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This would go against Apple's sale of 'privacy' to its customers

I don't want my phone (or my TV, since I think that's what this purchase would be really targeted towards) looking at me for my reactions to what I'm doing. At least not if it is being fed back to Facebook, to HBO, etc. depending on what I was doing/watching. Even if it is just Apple collecting the info, I would ask why the heck they need it and what they could possibly do with it that would benefit me.

Way down the road, it could be useful for Siri to be more conversational - pick up the facial cues that encode a lot of meaning in a conversation. But we're years away from Siri or any other AI "assistant" reaches the point where there is no more meaning to be extracted from words and it needs to see your face.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Behaviour analysis

There is already systems that can analyse CCTV for movement and behavioural patterns associated with shoplifters, also can be used for potential suicide risk (train stations) etc.

Of course the problem is the false positives as behaviour isn't totally consistent, also once people are aware of these types of systems they can be fooled,e.g. Some grit in your shoes can change your gait enough to cause problems for gait analysis

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or

A mask ----->

and it fails to work :P

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like