back to article NYSE fed up of Violin's bum notes, threatens stock market ejection

Violin Memory is under notice of being delisted from the New York Stock Exchange because its stock price has been less than $1.00, on average, for 30 days. The company has said it will regain listing compliance. To be compliant with NYSE listing practice a stock’s average closing price has to be at least $1.00 over a 30-day …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't see where Violin fit into a market that has SSD's, vSAN's and 10GigE networking. It's an outdated and very expensive box.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"stock price has been less than $1.00, on average"

Wouldn't it make more sense to eject the company if the total market capital is less than (say) $100m?

What does it matter if you have 100m shares @ $1, or 1m shares at $100?

FWIW: http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/vmem

Today: $0.66 per share, total cap $70.86m

2. CheesyTheClown

vSANs and 10GigE?

vSANs have been around for a decade and 10GigE equally long. Most servers these days are shipping with multiple 2-16x 40GbE ... anything less is called a PC. As for vSANs, Let's be fair, vSANs are SCSI based block based storage which on the very best of days might be able to scale to 25Gb/sec because MPIO is an after-thought in SCSI which kinda works. Therefore unless you can get a single wavelength with greater capacity, you're going to have a bottle neck. Using SMBv3 or NFS (on anything other than VMware) scaled beautifully past single link and can easily scale to terabits per second.

So... then we have Violin... I came to comment to ask what it is that they have that makes them special. SSD isn't really particularly interesting anymore. I just built a fairly cheap data center storage solution for my personal lab. It contains 8 servers with 12 cores and 96 gigs of RAM each... for storage, each server has a PCIe riser that holds 4xM.2 PCIe cards which each have an average throughput of about 2 GB/sec. I'm only using little 256gig modules for a yield of 256GB raw storage per server. By employing Windows Server 2012 R2 with Replica, Dedup, etc... as well as Starwind vSAN to boot older systems, I can get a sustained transfer rate measured in hundreds of gigabits per second while surviving two full node outages and function beautifully until 4 nodes fail. Each system has an additional 4x6TB hard drives for near-line storage for a yield of approximately 6TB per server of additional raw capacity.

The total cost of this solution is measured as a few thousand pounds per node. I didn't even build this for price. I built this for ease of reliability, management, scalability and performance.Compared to NetApp, EMC, Hitatchi and a few others (I'd mention HP, but why bother), performance was mangitudes faster, scalability was massively higher. When I go into production, I'll use decent servers, not these junkers I picked up on eBay for 500 pounds each and added storage and networking to.

So... where the heck does Violin fit? They seem to have a SDS option, but they provide so little information on it it's as if they're a company hell-bent on being the experts on a dying market.

2. Magellan

Reverse stock split

If they are going to do a reverse split, they should go 4-1 or 5-1 at a minimum.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon