back to article El Reg mulls entering Robot Wars arena

The news this week that the BBC is to reboot its celebrated robo-deathmatch series Robot Wars prompted much comment from our beloved readers, and amid the excitement, Sleepypete posed the provocative question: "Anyone else hoping that SPB turn their talents to making an all conquering, all destroying, punyhuman enslaving …

Page:

1. Peter Kavanagh.
    Unhappy

Deadline

March? Damn - my son was looking to put together a team at school to enter. Seems pretty short notice, presumably they have been in contact with the robot teams that still tour the UK.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Deadline

Our assumption is that they must have already contacted existing teams. It is very short notice otherwise.

1. Necronomnomnomicon

From what I understand, there's been a company touring Robot Wars show since the BBC version went off air (maybe under a different name?), so it might be that this is the touring one on telly, rather than an all new setup.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Yeah they have been touring a Robot Wars-esque show. However I think a lot of the robots from the TV series (Chaos 2, Hypnodisc etc) do the tour, so it will probably be them looking to start this new series.

But March you say? You could build something in 6 weeks. It'd be like Rocky facing Apollo Creed, only this time Rocky wins.

1. goldfish

I think it would be more likely to be Rocky vs Terminator 2 --- guess who wins

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Deadline

Ah, that makes sense.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Our assumption is that they must have already contacted existing teams. It is very short notice otherwise.

@Lester Haines

I've emailed you a link to the production company's website that has an email address and telephone number for more information.

I've just received the rules about the robots, I think it's fairly standard. There doesn't seem to be anything listed on it that is different to the robots seen years ago. The application form has place for "photos of the robot" and a YouTube link. So I don't know whether they only want robots that are already pre-built to attend or robots that are on the drawing board are allowed to enter.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Drawing board

If they are only on the drawing board, it'd be a bit of a push to have them ready in time.

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Deadline

Thanks - I already spoke to them, and they said it kicks off in early March. That's why it's too late to get something together from scratch.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Perhaps they are just using the first series of this new run to raise awareness of it to would-be competitors.

If so, one can expect more competitors and variety in Robot Wars Reboot Series 2.

What do we know? From BBC Media Centre:

- More robots and teams than original series

- Use of new technology - Arduinos, Raspberry Pis, 3D printing, cheap sensors, small cameras etc

- Educational

- Still includes "crushing, sawing and scorching"

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/robot-wars-returns

One can assume that the use of new technologies (one can order quickly order custom parts by emailing a CAD file, schools and 'maker groups' have 3D printers) lowers the bar of entry, thus allowing more teams to compete.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

> it's too late to get something together from scratch.

What would B. A. Baracus think of that defeatist attitude? He could construct a winning robot in a single afternoon, whilst trapped in cave with nothing but a oxy-acetylene torch and some junk. For shame....

:)

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Headmaster

@Dave 126

You're confusing "The A-Team" with "McGuyver"

3. Nick Ryan Silver badge
                Coat

Thanks - I already spoke to them, and they said it kicks off in early March. That's why it's too late to get something together from scratch.

That's not an insurmountable problem. El Reg should just call on the services of Captain Cyborg, arm him with a variety of plastic spoons and perhaps a tooth-pick or two if we're feeling generous and drop him into the arena. Possibly from a great height?.

It's a win-win situation.

I've applied, found an old design I did in 15 years ago and rehashed it. Stuck some clever stuff on the design. I don't have a robot built, far from it, and so far I have the outline of a machine I drew in GIMP.

I've added it to the application, although it says "Photos of Robot" and "YouTube link of Robot", so I suspect they are looking for pre-built machines. But, I think with the clever items I've added to the machine I could be given the chance to build it.

Highly doubt it, but at least I'll have time to build it properly for Series 2.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. VinceH
        Terminator

"It is very short notice otherwise."

On the upside, the short notice could be a benefit: It being too late to sensibly enter this time means you have more time to see what sort of standards are set by those taking part in the first series.

3. sena.akada

Just wrap a staff member in tinfoil, arm him or her with a tin opener, and let the NHS worry about the rest. Job done.

2. MyffyW Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Spaced - T.F.U.

I suspect I'd be crap at building a robot but I'd love to do a tribute to Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes Robot Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZoPBO7i2A

1. Danny 14

Re: Spaced - T.F.U.

Plan and design? Thats management talk. Just give a deadline, free doughnuts and it will be sorted. Sort of. Juat dont reboot it.

2. 0laf

Well what worked best before?

No point in reinventing the wheel?

Also what are the new rules?

A thorough examination of old matches should give you an idea. Bots with stabby, hammery weapons never did so well. If was always the flipping machines that worked best (hypnodisc being an exeception that that rule).

Maybe if the floor is metal you could build in an electomagnet to nail yourself to the floor to stop your bot being flipped.

1. Elfo74

Re: Well what worked best before?

This looks good :)

https://xkcd.com/689/

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

That's one of the very few XKCD strips that confuses me... viewing it again in the context of a 'Robot Wars' style competition, it makes a little bit more sense - but I still feel that I'm missing something. Was it drawn in reference to some US TV Robot Soccer event?

So, the robot uses the sprinkler system to disable those things that look like cherry-picker platforms, and then it is pushing two footballs? I can't tell!

1. richardcox13

> That's one of the very few XKCD strips that confuses me

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/689:_FIRST_Design

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Ah, that explains it! 'FIRST Design' is a design for the FIRST Robotics Competition... my brain read it as 'First Design' (as in v.0.1 or whatever) and so I was trying to read it as a commentary about actually making the very first you sketch on the back of a beermat.

Thank you richardcox13 :)

2. Joe Montana

I always found flipping robots to be boring, and once robots gained the ability to turn back over or run upside down a flipper becomes somewhat useless.

I preferred the robots which did serious damage, hypnodisc being probably the best example. Makes for great tv, but obviously becomes expensive for competitors if their robots get completely destroyed.

1. Danny 14

use vacuum tubes as control gear and put an EMP or HERF gun in there. Then drag the dead robots around at your leisure.

3. SolidSquid

I understand the Mythbusters crew were asked to leave the American tournaments twice because their spinning wok with blades welded on threw so much shrapnel around, seems that would be a good starting point?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The production company are boasting of a "purpose built, literally bullet-proof arena" in Glasgow, so maybe the new rules won't be quite so constrained by safety concerns.

1. Anonymous Custard
        Trollface

"purpose built, literally bullet-proof arena"

Sounds like a challenge to me...

1. ElectricFox
          Joke

"purpose built, literally bullet-proof arena in Glasgow"

So it's probably safer inside the arena than outside whenever Celtic play Rangers....

4. TRT Silver badge

I can safely predict...

That it will involve much beer and pipe.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Make sure to have on-board sensors. The flipper with the camera to aim with did excellently, lego now does some very good sensor suites that can complement an on board camera or six.

Also nitrous, just because.

6. Paul Woodhouse

easy... just use some sort of drone with some soft of liquid squirter, fly above the other robots and get their main PCB's pissed wet through...

would that be cheating though?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>would that be cheating though?

That attack method would be easy to defend against... just pot the PCBs in epoxy or silicone conform spray.

The thing about an arms is race... etc etc

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Acid.

A really strong acid spray sounds like an idea weapon. And it should get around any tedious rules about no projectile weapons. AND - the arena might be bulletproof, but is it acid proof? Time will tell.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Acid.

Last I checked (which admittedly was a long time ago), tethered projectiles were acceptable. Unfortunately corrosives or other liquids weren't, nor were flame throwers (the house robots are built to different rules).

7. Whitter
    Happy

Biting the hand that feeds IT

Given El Reg's tagline, some form of chomping device seems a must?

8. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Draw inspiration from the BOFH...

1. Philip Storry

And from the website The Register, their entry is...

LIFTSHAFT!

Wait. This plan may not work as well as we'd hoped...

1. Chika

Oh, I don't know. The Liftshaft did have its analogue in RW of old. They simply referred to it as the Pit.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

One robot was specifically designed to be able to get out of the pit.

2. phuzz Silver badge

I suppose bundling your opponent up in a roll of old carpet would count as immobilising them?

3. TitterYeNot

"Draw inspiration from the BOFH..."

Ooooh yes, a robot with a kiloVolt cattle prod - what could be better?

Hmmm. <Thinks> A robot with a megaVolt cattle prod....

4. Woza

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/01/bofh_2010_episode_11/ ?

5. bpfh
      Mushroom

Draw inspiration from the BOFH...

EMP generator, rifle shooting frozen paintballs, taser and cattleprod to go full bzeeeerrt, ex-lax in the opposing team's food the night before... the possibilities are endless...

6. DropBear
      Trollface

...nuclear powered EMP then?

1. TRT Silver badge

Multi-cannon...

If against a petrol engined opponent, launches a cloud of air-filter clogging particles.

Against an electrically powered opponent, a web of sticky Kevlar fibres shot into the wheel housings.

Or a stinger-like device that could penetrate the outer shell and fill the interior with expanding builder's foam.

9. John Robson Silver badge

Depends on the rules...

There used to be different weight limits for power sources.

Best of the earlier series from my memory:

Casius (the original flipper IIRC)

Razor (ridiculously damaging claw)

Hypnodisc (Deciding that power wasn't everthing if you can build some energy in a weapon)

Before HD came out I had started to settle on a chinook style hypnodisc-esque weapons system because building energy in a flywheel was always the most obvious way to inflict damage.

1. Chika

Re: Depends on the rules...

My biggest hope is that it doesn't descend to the level of that boring pushbot Tornado.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like