back to article Cisco: Businesses are losing the ground war against hackers

Only half (54 per cent) of businesses are confident in their ability to verify and defend against an attack, according to a study by networking giant Cisco. Cisco's latest Annual Security Report concluded that this lack of confidence is mostly down to hackers becoming more nimble, resilient and persistent while businesses are …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    WTF?

O realy?

Is Cisco really the company best placed to 'advise' others?

1. Sven Coenye
      FAIL

Re: O realy?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/20/cisco_patches_borked_web_box_proxy_hole/

'nuf said...

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I wouldn't say they are the best placed - but they do have a lot of experience with bugs'n'vulns...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So does this mean that Cisco is going to start updating the firmware on their SB routers (e.g. RV215W) more than once every year or two? Seems Cisco poor support for the kit they peddle is part of the problem, especially kit used by small third party vendors.

2. Nate Amsden

i bet

at least 75% of that 54% number don't know any better so just say "yes we're ready".

1. Captain DaFt

Re: i bet

I took it as: "54% of businesses overconfident in their ability to handle hackers, only 46% have realistic expectations."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

None of this surprises me...

But that doesn't mean I don't need a drink after reading it.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: None of this surprises me...

@Marketing Hack - Its not really a surprise since most companies have essentially a passive defense. They react to attacks instead of trying to anticipate them. Target and Home Depot are likely classic passive defense. Neither appeared to be proactive about protecting their systems from attacks from third parties. If the attacks are anticipated before they occur you are more likely to be looking for them and are more likely to spot them relatively early.

Have drink for me

4. Mikel

Your software is garbage

There is no excuse for the quality of software today. Proper methods are understood.

1. Roo
      Windows

Re: Your software is garbage

"There is no excuse for the quality of software today. Proper methods are understood."

The problem isn't just the abysmal software, folks need to pay attention to using it correctly as well. :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because Cisco and other big security companies keep peddling the myth that you can defend your business at the perimeter and the network level.

1. Wim Ton

Perimeter defense

Perimeter defense is still necessary, but don't count on it alone.

6. MrGutts

Cisco marketing

Cisco marketing group trying to sell newish security services and be the champions of justice!! They are wasting money buying up security companies only to turn around to sell said services but know NOTHING about the product they are selling. Plus they don't even have there own house in order with many security issues each month.

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Hey, I have a great idea - let's just make all new software secure, without bugs and foolprof to use! Problem solved!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Biggest hole are the employees

Locking them down even more is the way of the future, sadly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like