back to article Public cloud storage spend to double in two years – reliable sources

Research house 451 reckons public cloud storage spend will double in two years, with on-premises storage spend falling 17 per cent. Its Voice of the Enterprise: Storage study sees most organizations increasing their storage spend while also switching more of it to the public cloud, with Amazon and Microsoft (Azure) being the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AWS as a top storage vendor?

This is interesting since AWS isn't a storage vendor at all, they are a reseller. They don't actually build any storage themselves, they either have a custom manufacturer or they are buying from traditional vendors (see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/15/idc_third_of_it_spend_going_cloud/). Same goes for Microsoft.

What 451 Research is showing is HOW storage is being consumed, not really WHO is providing it.

1. Noam

Re: AWS as a top storage vendor?

Not sure I follow. If you mean AWS doesn't make its own storage media (i.e., drives) then you are right, but that is not what this article is about.

AWS by all accounts has its own storage stack. In this sense, they are also the ones providing the storage (i.e., they are both the "how" and the "who" behind the storage).

2. Noam

Yes!

Nicely put. What's cited in the article certainly matches what we see across our entire customer base. Specifically, we see a consistent shift from the traditional storage vendors and business model to an elastic, consumption-based OpEx model, both in the cloud (especially AWS and Azure) and on-premises.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like