back to article Microsoft: Yes, we are going to kill off Enterprise Agreements

Microsoft has confirmed it is to gradually kill off Enterprise Agreements - volume licensing contracts so complex that a whole profit-making asset management eco-system sprang up off the back of them. As we exclusively revealed, first evidence of this comes on 1 July when new commercial customers with sub-500 seats will no …

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Educational Channels?

I've been fortunate to work in an educational environment, and have had "Site License" vlk's. I've not heard from our software provider regarding any changes. Put this on the 'to do' list...

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Educational Channels?

Things are changing for us in Education too. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/buying-for-schools-microsoft-memorandum-of-understanding

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This lube&fukkery promotion can't die soon enough

For the record, I told the EAP consutant to use the ECLiPSe constraint satisfaction solver to determine the best price, not a large Excel sheet with weird formulas. I told him dawg!!

1. Donkey Molestor X

Re: This lube&fukkery promotion can't die soon enough

you told him dawg?

Is that you, Hella Jeff?

3. jnorio

Does this mean no Windows installations will be free from forced updates?

I also am in an university environment. Our users with Enterprise versions of Windows 7 and 8.1 do NOT currently get Windows 10 updates forced down their throats or up their *****. This is because Enterprise versions are not subject to such BS. Is this Microsoft's attempt to forcibly move the remaining unwilling users to Windows 10?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does this mean no Windows installations will be free from forced updates?

I think the simple answer is, Yes.

2. Chika
      Big Brother

I suspect that, ultimately, yes they are. That is unlikely to be their primary motive though.

Microsoft are in the business to make money. Nothing more than that, nothing less. They provide a product that needs to be funded in some way but they realise that they have to draw the line somewhere to prevent larger users from buggering off somewhere else like Apple or Linux. All they have really done is change the shape of that line in their favour.

1. fung0

Chika: "Microsoft are in the business to make money. Nothing more than that, nothing less."

Alas, if only that were true. Like most modern corporations, Microsoft is in business to maximize its quarterly stock valuation. Nothing more, nothing less - and nothing longer-term. This pretty much explains most of the company's disastrous policies going back to when Gates left.

3. P. Lee

>Our intention ultimately is to get all of our customers onto the modern platform,

Modern=TIFKAM?

4. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Isn't the whole point of entering into a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement that you get free upgrades to the newest version of wondows during the contract?

Otherwise you could just buy computers with an OEM installation and just use outdated versions of windows as long as you like.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Wrong. Plenty of MS software is only available through enterprise agreements.

Without EA, now what? We can only get that software through Azure subscription services? We can't buy it at all because we're too small too mater?

Both. Either. Microsoft fucks the SMB every which way it can.

4. x 7

what if I don't want cloud-cuckoo land services?

1. Mark 85

Tough. You will have it and like it!!!! <said in a Colonel Klink voice>

5. werdsmith Silver badge

Microsoft licensing is cumbersome full stop.

The idea is to confuse businesses enough that they end up overbuying licenses to ensure they stay compliant.

Server license, cal for this, cal for that. Seat cal, user cal, stuff it all. The sooner I'm off this ridiculous hamster wheel the better.

6. Joerg

This is going to be the death of Microsoft

Microsoft with the new Indian CEO is going worse than with the dumb Ballmer CEO.

This is going to be the biggest mistake ever that will kill Microsoft.

In a couple of years Microsoft managed to screw over all of its customers from the consumer mobile WindowsPhone and tablet Surface to desktop Windows8.x and 8.2=10 crap with the atrocious childish unusable Metro/ModernUI nonsense and a lot of new spyware added to the mix.

Now like the Metro/ModernUI stuff and spyware on WindowsServer2012 and 2016 weren't enough already they want to really have a lot of outraged enterprise business customers too.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: This is going to be the death of Microsoft

That's my Hate Microsoft Buzzword Bingo card filled. Thanks!

2. localzuk Silver badge

What's the fact he's Indian got anything to do with it?

1. x 7

"What's the fact he's Indian got anything to do with it?"

well, he's scalping his customers

oooops - wrong Indian

7. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Then again...

I would willingly sell my house and all its contents to help Microsoft.

1. PJF
      Devil

Re: Then again...

"I would willingly sell my house and all its contents to help Microsoft.

BUT

I did notice that you did NOT say your vehicle, wife (or SO), children(?), and your arm(s) and/or legs(s)..

2. Borg.King
      Paris Hilton

Put your head in between them and go blubble blubble blubble with Microsoft Enterprise Licensing.

(Paris, because El Reg. doesn't have the wisdom to have an icon of dear Pamela.)

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Upvote for the NTNOCN reference, one of my all-time favourites.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Gimp

Thank you for helping Microsoft help you to help us all.

3. hplasm
      Windows

"I would willingly sell my house and all its contents to help Microsoft."

Click here to accept this new EULA.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like