back to article Embattled Barracuda Networks looks for buyer – report

Barracuda Networks, with its back against the wall after a string of poor quarters and collapsing stock price, is reportedly looking for a buyer. According to Bloomberg, Barracuda engaged with Morgan Stanley to look for a buyer some months ago. The company provides data protection and security products for small and medium …

1. EnviableOne
    Gimp

Potential buyers

hmm... perhaps another engine for Sophos, or a mid market play for one of the big guys (Cisco/Checkpoint) or a way into security for someone like Avaya.

esp with the low cost of entry.

Plus its easy to use and granular ......

1. Otto is a bear.

Re: Potential buyers

Or one of the cloud players for their virtual platform.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Potential buyers

"Or one of the cloud players for their virtual platform."

I dunno about that. I've been using Barracuda stuff in various ways for the past 10 years, and it may be too "real" for cloud - not enough rainbows and unicorn farts.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So that'll be the *real* reason why they're pulling the plug on the Copy service.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Shame, it's actually rather good, and they were pushing out developments until very recently

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this the same barracuda that runs an email blacklisting service that tends to cry wolf and not explain why (apart from a list of possible reasons) - in which case we can do without them.

4. sempertyrannis

Funny thing - several SMB focused vendors seem to be struggling, but we here at Scale (focused heavily on SMB) are growing like mad. On prem for SMB isn't dead, just the old way of too much complexity is.

5. Ramlen

When the price of a virtual appliance is near enough the same as one of their hardware units I am not surprised they are struggling, yet Gartner had them as one of the up and coming ones to watch...

6. carl0s

I'm curious what might come of their FreeSWITCH based PBX software. Forgotten the name now but it looked very tidy. Just expensive. I considered it for deploying to customers but they wanted to back-charge maintenance for appliances that I had bought, stocked for a year, and then supplied to a customer. No thanks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like