back to article Internet idiots make hoax bomb threats to UK, Aus, French schools

A gang of internet idiots are using voice-over-internet-protocol (VoIP) services to phone-in fake bomb threats to schools across the UK, France, and Australia in exchange for Bitcoins. The group operating under the scuppered @Ev4cuati0nSquad Twitter account have called in fake bomb threats to dozens of schools in those …

1. GrumpenKraut

Vicious little fuckers.

Hope they will be caught soon.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<Redacted>

But clearly visible in the image just above.

1. Just Enough

Re: <Redacted>

Seriously. Can we not alter that image? This is just giving them a free advert.

Or better yet, alter the email address to a honey trap account.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free until March...

... they think they won't have been caught by then.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

$10 bet

This turns out to be a group of kids somewhere in the US/Europe.

$20 bet they get treated as adult terrorists in court.

1. Charles 9

Re: $10 bet

$50 says someone else uses them as a smokescreen to cover up an ACTUAL attack?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

$50 says someone else uses them as a smokescreen to cover up an ACTUAL attack?

I'm not a betting man, but I reckon that will (a) certainly happen and that will (b) spell the end of this little club of idiots because at that point the big boys will take a look. After all, they now have plenty of empty cells at Guantanamo Bay.

1. Charles 9

Unless, of course, they're found to live in a country hostile to the West...

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"live in a country hostile to the West"

In which case, they'll be getting a surprise visit by some nice special ops soldiers or CIA folk. Or the west will just accuse the country of harboring terrorists and imposing sanctions until they hand over the idiots.

5. Mr Templedene

6 schools in Leeds received hoax bomb threats on Monday, I wonder if it was this gang?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which year?

Is this an old story? Or they have made a classic new year mistake of getting the year wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Which year?

I don't know about the year, but it's certainly not news news - this was all over the mainstream newspapers a week ago.

And it's $5 they're asking, not 5 bitcoin!

7. Chris G

Spuds

If they are Russian and Putin catches them , they can look forward to a lifetime of digging spuds in Siberia but frum their use of English I don't think they are Russians. I hope these aresholes get caught and severely spanked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spuds

WRONG, if Putin catches them, he will employ them.

Havent you noticed he is doing everything short of a full scale invasion to destroy the EU??

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope they catch them but I also hope they catch the people using their services for without them they wouldn't exist.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
      Coat

Yeah, they should phone in their own bomb threats, but no - there's an app for that! Seriously, kids these days...

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

BTaaS - Bomb threats as a Service

If this is the new and wonderful digital economy I keep hearing about - you know, everything is availiable "as a service" and so on - hoorrraaay!

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: BTaaS - Bomb threats as a Service

Well, the oldest profession is "Servicing as a service", so not exactly new. I'm waiting until the rest of the service industry gets hold of this construct. "Cooking-as-a-service", "Driving as a service", "waste disposal as a service", etc...

10. David Roberts

Unexpected side effect?

This seems to be possibly using weakneses in monitoring the source of VOIP traffic.

If there is tougher monitoring of VOIP this might just cut down on all the cold calling from international VOIP numbers. Until now there has been no real driver to police this.

11. Andrew Jones 2

Is no-one else even slightly concerned that they claim to have the ability to frame someone?

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Claiming the ability and actually having it are two different things.

But no, you're not alone. It's a chilling prospect, and a tasty price for anyone twisted and vindictive enough to consider it. And of course the cops will nick you, freeze your accounts, bust your door in an swipe all your IT kit, before eventually realising it's a frame-up.

Meanwhile you're jobless (cos you got nicked), homeless (cos you've got no job and your bank accounts are frozen), and likely to get lynched. Great.

12. boyese

That sounds like its Chris Walken the more I hear it.

13. adnim
    Unhappy

Sigh

"Hello, and we are EvacuationSquad. We do what we do for a few reasons: We hate the American government, We hate authority, and we LOVE to cause mayhem."

Then cause mayhem to those you hate dickwads. It's only the subjects victims of those you hate that suffer as a result of this juvenile shit

1. Mark 85

Re: Sigh

I see maybe irony, but more like stupidity in that opening statement.. They hate "American government" but they haven't called in any threats in America. Then in the quotation at the end of the article, the money is in dollars*. Methinks the Russian bit is a stretch**. The price they're asking is basically peanuts maybe it is a cover operation like "boy who calls wolf"....

*The statements say $(US) for the services.. the article says "bitcoins"... Bitcoins might be universal, but $(US) seems a bit strange. Why not Euros?

** In many jurisdiction in the States, phoning a bomb threat is a felony as security and emergency services usually need to be sent. Many companies just ignore the threat, call the authorities since historically, they've all be fakes.

14. Diogenes

How to discourage done right ...

The boss called an assembly yesterday to go over the evac & lockdown tones for the new starters.

He did say that every threat so far has been a hoax, but we will evacuate to the oval regardless. He pointed out that the oval has no shade or cover & the forecast for the rest of the week is either a hot & humid 30c or rain. He then went on to say that if we do evacuate, we will be sitting on the oval until police have checked the whole school, which will take between 3 & 6 hours, even if the threat is called 30 secs before the going home bell..

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: How to discourage done right ...

An interesting "deterrent" to any of his pupils attempting to use the service. Unless one or two really don't give a shit and and the innocent 99.99% end up sitting out there in baking heat or rain for the suggested 3-6 hours detention.

We had a teacher who threatened our entire class with detention over some incident or other. I forget what it was now, other than we pointed out to the teacher that no one could know who did it other than the culprits and if he thought we'd all take the punishment for something we neither did nor could inform on than he had better just forget it. THis was in the days before "human rights" means detention has to set by appointment with at least 24 hours notice.

I would suggest that the school head making those claims was blustering purely as a deterrent since come end of day when the school buses and parents are at the gates he'd be on a bit of a sticky wicket holding everyone back for 3+ hours.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like