back to article Microsoft showers Office 365 sellers with gold in Google snub

Microsoft is again rattling Google’s cage by throwing money at channel folk that convert small businesses into Office 365 believers. The Fast Track programme was launched in 2014 for customers with more than 150 seats to drive adoption of Microsoft’s online service, but the glare of Redmond is switching to those with 149 and …

1. msknight

M$ doesn't need to compete with Google on price...

...because Google's product is a bag of nails that accepts "wugahumphtuma" as a legitimate word and will quite happily, when set to the English UK dictionary, continue to accept American spellings.

I mean, does any self respecting business really want to trust its documents and correspondence to a spell checker like that?!?!

http://msknight.com/technilife/?p=610

1. hplasm
      Gimp

Re: M$ doesn't need to compete with Google on price...

When they can rely on bribery.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Really? Just tried composing using Gmail (Chromium browser on Linux) and no, it won't accept wugahumphtuma or color instead of colour. But maybe that is just my sane installation doing the spell-checking locally?

However, Google docs is accepting US spellings as well as UK spelling. Having said that, just how many installations of Word, etc, do you see with US spelling enabled?

1. msknight

Talking about "Docs" their office suite offering, which has its own spell checker, as opposed to g-mail which uses the browser spell checker.

1. hplasm
          Meh

"g-mail which uses the browser spell checker."

IE by any chance?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"warned it couldn’t compete with Google on price"

More like doesn't need to compete with Google on price. It's like comparing Microsoft Office and Open Office. The Google product is utter basic shite in comparison.

2. adnim
    Devil

"Microsoft showers Office 365 sellers with gold"

A golden shower?

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Coat

Re: "Microsoft showers Office 365 sellers with gold"

Strange, it's usually the clients that MS piss all over

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Microsoft showers Office 365 sellers with gold"

I thought it was a brown shower that MS gave their customers, not a golden one.

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I find Google docs great for collaboration, but ultimately I don't trust any of them.

They (MS & Google, etc) can and do change products and T&C without giving a toss about the products, sorry, customers and I don't fancy my data being under USA jurisdiction no matter how much they protest about caring. Before Snowden revealed PRISM they were quite happy to cooperate with the US Gov secret requests and accept payment for them. Remember that...

4. jnemesh
    FAIL

They have a name for this...

It's called "hiring paid shills"! Thanks MS...we obviously are too dumb to make our own decisions, so having someone "educate" the market as to the benefits of your malware is greatly appreciated! /s

5. Mark Allen
    Mushroom

@Jnemesh

Have you never heard of a "salesman". These are people that sell a stuff that isn't made by them. In this case the news item is talking about people signed up to Microsoft's Partner programme selling Microsoft products.

This isn't part of your paranoid dream where everyone who disagrees with your view is a "paid shill". This is just normal business of paying a salesman to sell something.

(Wow - that must be the first time I've ever dived in to defend the reputation of sales staff!!)

6. N2

Golden showers?

From Microsoft?

Yes, I can imagine what sort they might be...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Google apps don't scale over fifty seat mark?

“Companies tend to reach a breaking point with Google Apps around the 50-employee mark because it doesn’t provide the centralised management and security capabilities, nor the breath of integrated collaboration too, that Office 365 does.”

Is there any truth to this statement?

https://www.google.com/work/solutions.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google apps don't scale over fifty seat mark?

"Is there any truth to this statement?"

Yes. Hence why Microsoft are wiping the floor with Google with Office 365.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone remembers the infamous 'Googlighting Stranger' ad campaign?

Microsoft (classless as always) was mocking Google's attempts at productivity software/services.

Googlighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QI4KmlcQr4

Oh my, how the tables have turned, eh?

(Tip: Say 'Oh my' with the gusto of George Takei)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Anyone remembers the infamous 'Googlighting Stranger' ad campaign?

I don't know how we survived before Microsoft invented Pivot Charts ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eEG5LVXdKo

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like