back to article Arrow: Fraudsters impersonated one of our execs to steal money

Enterprise tech distributor Arrow Inc will take a $13m charge on the chin after a fraudster posing as a company exec transferred money from the corporate bank account to an external one. The admission came as Arrow outlined calendar Q4 numbers for the three months ended 31 December, with sales up six per cent year-on-year and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No worse than the HP Executives...

.. who transferred $11 BILLION to another account (that of Autonomy) only to find that there was nothing of any value left after they'd sent them the money

here

When Nigerian phone scammers do it to old ladies, or small time crooks do it to a business, it's a crime.

When Executives do it on a scale beyond compare, it's an 'accounting issue' with bonuses for them all round

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: No worse than the HP Executives...

".. who transferred $11 BILLION to another account (that of Autonomy) only to find that there was nothing of any value left after they'd sent them the money"

It seems they've now decided they can sell this apparently valueless product as a service: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/04/hpe_chases_risky_business_customers/

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Trick or Treat, Fact and/or Fiction ....

… or both with Present Productions Virtually Realised in AIQuantum State for Better Pre Beta Testing of Product to Source

It involves convincing an employee to make emergency bank transfers to a third party, “in order to obey an alleged order of a leader under the pretext of a debt to pay, a provision in contract or a deposit”.

That be the Spinning of Immaculate Tales and within the Gift of Global Operating Devices.

Now, be that PrimedDay Trading and/or ZerodDay Trading on Virtualised Networks ‽ …. A PreRequisite Self-Actualisation for All IntelAIgent Community Bodies Dispensing Command and Control. ‽

What Intelligence does US Follow with Sees and Seats at Possible Future Picture Perfect Shows?

Alien IntelAIgents armed and armoured with Advanced Artificial Intelligence? Cyber Rogues and Virtual Pirates embracing Saints and Sinners Mode and Meme?

And, nice one, Sir Van. Wanna Boogey in Seventh Heaven Heavens?

And Van’s the Man in Deed indeed, when Prepared to Fully Comprehend the MuchMoreAvailableinAllofThat Spinning Wheel of Great and Good, Poor and Bad Fortune, and that would by natural default identify one as quite fundamentally radical too, methinks.

Nice bonus that.

And who would deny themselves witness to the unravelling with participation in More than Just Perfect Tales …… Mapping Star Trails with Impeccable Guidance to the Core that is All and Nothing.

3. The Godfather
    WTF?

Irrational....

Staggered that any business should fail to either implement or enforce simple risk management strategies to counter this type of fraud. It really is not that difficult.

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: Irrational....

<quote> It really is not that difficult.</quote>

BUT, you forget that we are dealing with the cream of the crop dimmest bulbs in the bunch - the C suite executives. The only thing they understand is bonuses.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Irrational....

No, usually you are dealing with someone much further down the food chain who thinks they are following orders from their boss.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zero Sympathy

The FBI has been warning about this exact type of fraud for over a year (one example: https://www.ic3.gov/media/2015/150122.aspx), complete with sample phish messages and timelines showing how the scam works. If your CFO can't be arsed to understand how to keep the rubber band on the company wallet, then maybe he should find another job. The level of incompetence in the C-suite is staggering.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yesterday Dave called me

asked for a quick loan. I told him to fuck off, the next I knew, I had boys in blue and boys in black on my doorstep, and through the door. Apparently they found everything, peado materials, terrorist literature, WMD, labour leaflets... Were nice though, asked me which charge I want to be booked under, makes no difference to them. Life imitating life, I tellya.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like