back to article IBM Global Tech Services staff at risk of redundo in Blighty

IBM has entered into a 45-day consultation with UK staff in the Global Technology Services division, El Reg can reveal. In a note sent to full-time staffers on 3 February, Martin Blackburn, GM of the local GTS operation, confirmed Big Blue is forming an Employee Consultation Committee (ECC). This is to “represent the …

1. Yugguy

Consultation?

I've been through redundancy twice. And every time I think what exactly am I being consulted about.

Get rid of all the fucking wretched management BOLLOCKS. You are not consulting me as I have no choice in this, staff forums are pointless and we are not on a journey together you utter waste of humanity.

Just be HONEST. You want to get rid of x% of staff. It'd be easier if some went voluntarily but at the end of the day you will be sacking that x%, yes, let's call it what it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Consultation?

The consultation period is a legal requirement. IBM would rather just let x people go, regardless of whether they're any good or not.

If you've got skills, get out. You'll get a better job with more money. Turn your back on the misery and frustration. Go somewhere where you'll be appreciated and encouraged. A redundancy package is the only bonus anyone below exec level can expect from IBM now. Take it. There are plenty of jobs out there. As IBM piss off their customers, they leave and have to go somewhere. Other, more modern and dynamic companies are welcoming them with open arms.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How inconsiderate... Have you no thought for the poor managers performing resource actions? Getting rid of the people who do the actual work just so they can get paid their bonuses is soul destroying and they need to be treated carefully.

Oh... You thought the consultation was meant to help the people who were being gotten rid of?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quote from an employee rep many years ago: "It is Consultation, not Negotiation".

You ARE being "consulted" in that they are telling you what they are planning to do.

Agreed about the management-speak on this; I have seen too many emails over the years on redundancies that literally do not contain a single negative word...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree, IBM should be more forthright about the process instead of letting HR slap all of their corporate PC labels on everything... it doesn't make the process of firing people to hit arbitrary numbers better for anyone.

Even if IBM doesn't care about the people they are letting go, they should have a respectful process for the people who they want to keep around. If everyone else sees people being screwed over, even if it isn't them, they are probably also going to look for the exits. I am writing as though this is a hypothetical, but the brain drain has already happened at IBM. If you are really a super star, world class (engineer, salesperson, etc), why work in that environment if you have a bevy of other options. If they just said, "look we need to let x number of people go" six months ahead of time (and they definitely know it is going to happen six months ahead of time) and asked people to look for other jobs while continuing to work at IBM, I think most people would respect it. What people resent is having it sprung on them out of the blue and they being labeled as damaged goods on the market when they could have fairly easily gotten another job if IBM had given them some warning. It is just the decent thing to do and it really costs IBM very little to nothing. It also send a signal to other employees that, if the worst happens, they will be treated fairly instead of just getting bounced one day.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The thing is, everyone know that redundancies are a regular feature at IBM. Everyone also knows that it's the talent that leaves. Many already have other jobs lined up before volunteering. Others know plenty who have left in the past and are willing to employ someone they know and trust. I personally am seriously considering approaching ex-colleagues and seeing if I can tempt them away.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you can always tell its a Friday

Story about IBM redundancies, it must be Friday.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: you can always tell its a Friday

That's unfair - I got offered mine on a Wednesday

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: you can always tell its a Friday

Mine was a Monday. Just returned from a holiday and had made up my mind that I was going to resign. Saw the email and thought, oh, this is much better.

3. Denarius
    Unhappy

out of curiosity

given IBM is doing "staff actions" all the time when was not IBM sacking staff? 15 straight quarters of financial shrinkage isn't it ? Staff were being let go before that anyway, though in smaller numbers so it was not reported much.

As a matter of balance, which BigCo is not doing steady sacking ? HP and CSC have many middle and senior management that were trained at IBM. Nuff said.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: out of curiosity

All big tech companies are continually adjusting their workforces, sometimes making people redundant, sometimes hiring, sometimes both simultaneously.

It is only when the numbers mean that they have to go into consultation do we tend to hear about redundancies, but it is happening continuously across the industry.

4. klaxhu

IBM

....In other news:

Ginni Rometty to pocket $4.5m bonus for IBM leadership - Company rewards three years of failure

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/29/ginni_rometty_pockets_45m_bonus/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just GTS

It's not just GTS. Folks in the newly formed 'Cloud' division also got the same email.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not just GTS

Cloud *and* Analytics - so 40% of the new holy grail - CAMMS - might be MMS soon

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not SCAMS, I mean CAMSS, any longer - it's 'cognitive' as the current meaningless buzzword. Makes no difference, the attention span of the deciders grows shorter as the ratio of execs to actual workers nears one-to-one.

At least in the UK there is a mandated 'consultation' about resource actions. And there is some communication.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4 times in 14 months actually!

In GTS this is the 4th time in 14 months, not in 24 months. Starting in December 2014 with a consultation, a little voluntary offering then in March 2015, another consultation in July 2015 and this current consultation in Feb 2016. Given that each program can last 2-3 months, that's about 10 out of the 14 months spent in some sort of redundancy program. GBS got the latest announcement too so looks like its across the board this time.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The 185 job loses is not the entire story. It doesn't include GTS maintenance division. Rumours are of another 40-50 jobs are to go in that business.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like