back to article Oracle now fully compliant with UK tax laws*

Good news, britons! Oracle says it is now fully compliant with the nation's latest tax regulations, including those that come into force on April 6th. That's the first day of the UK's new financial year, thanks to some sixteenth-century calendar-realignment shenanigans. Whatever the reason for the day, those who rely on …

1. John Robson Silver badge

2 Months?

That's really not all that long - or is just here that we take at least a year for a fairly low impact upgrade.

HR software - that takes far longer...

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: 2 Months?

"Upgrade" might be too severe a term: as I understand it, this kind of update is closer to a plugin.

But there's a dance that goes on here: government knows people need lead time, so try to get laws passed with enough time to let developers get their patches done in a timely fashion. Down here in Oz there are working groups between our tax office and software developers to get things sorted.

2. toughluck

That article linked under shenanigans!

I have read that article! It was very interesting! Overused certain punctuation signs, but otherwise a good read!

However, it omitted one important detail! It explained how it happened that the tax year ends on April the 5th, but has not even begun to address why it used to end on March 24th before 1752! I'd be grateful for an explanation!

1. Bc1609

Re: That article linked under shenanigans!

Presumably because March 25th - Lady Day - was the start of the New Year in the UK until 1752. Until then we (England) were still on the Julian calendar, and when we made the switch to Julian we also set the new New Year to 1st January. The reason the tax year starts on 6th April is because that's the equivalent Lady Day in the old calendar (that is, when we shifted calendars 25th March became 6th April; the Annunciation is still celebrated on 25th March though some people remember "Old Lady Day").

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like