back to article Great news, investors of Hortonworks: Only $179.1m net loss in 2015

All that glitters in the world of big data is not necessarily gold - just ask Hadoop-flinging Hortonworks and its army of investors that are today counting the latest annual losses. The Santa Clara-based business reported revenue of $121.9m for the twelve months ended 31 December, versus $46m in the prior year, as customer …

1. Nate Amsden

i suppose

the only thing postiive going on here would be the experience the employees are getting working with the tech, so when the company implodes they can get jobs elsewhere pretty easily since those skills are in pretty high demand (apparently not enough to hire much professional services though)

2. Alistair
    Windows

Hadoop grows.... larger and larger

Well, Hortonworks is growing -- like many things it may still be accelerating and not yet at full steam.

Me, I'm adding nodes since we keep getting more stuff to chew on stuffed in ours. More disks! More DISKS!

I don't think we'll be chewing on more of their professional services though.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They were never about making money

The CEO/board only ever wanted to be acquired. They've tried to grow the customer base through hugely discounted but unprofitable subscriptions. I know people who've worked there who confirmed. The CEO flogged JBoss, and Spring for a song to Red Hat and VMware and hoped to repeat his model. However market timing has conspired against them.

In the end they will be bought by one of the old gang and the 'pure' (only hortonworks contributors) open source vapour will disappear leaving Bearden rich and the employees, customers and investors feeling cheated.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon