back to article HPE is going to unleash a Machine on us. Here's how it might play out

At the far end of HPE's storage and compute strategy is the Machine, the dynamically composable infrastructure thing with separately scalable compute, memory/storage and networking resources. It has a huge flat and persistent memory space using storage-class memory (SCM). It was supposed to use memristors, but since that …

1. Nate Amsden

Not expecting NVMe in 3PAR in 2016

I have no official or unofficial information but 3PAR *just* refreshed their hardware last year, I personally wouldn't expect anything NVMe from them maybe until late 2017 at the earliest. The one exception might be if they use NVMe caching within the controllers themselves (by using the PCIe slots for such cards instead of HBAs).

But I think realistically existing SSDs are plenty fast enough to drive the VAST majority of workloads out there i think the faster NVMe SSDs will once again put a real barrier that storage systems will have to engineer around to make the controllers capable of driving such I/O while simultaneously doing everything else controllers do(and in some cases like 3PAR do it very well). It took many years for storage systems to "catch up" to just SSD speeds. (you could put SSDs in storage systems for many years but it didn't take many SSDs to max out the I/O capabilities of the controllers in front of them).

Could always be wrong of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not expecting NVMe in 3PAR in 2016

I wouldn't expect to see it even by 2018.

2. luis river

New NVmemory

Mistery journey is the promises of new tech computer memory how are RRAM, PCM, Memristor etc, but how gravitational waves they (NVM) can be discovered in future, but I believe what it the achieve firts the carrera, honour prestige and economic profit will be win

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: New NVmemory

Ah the Memristor and Duke Nukem Forever 2 together at last in 2045.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could somebody translate the article?

Into English, for a start.

1. KeithR

Re: Could somebody translate the article?

It would be nice to see it in a human-friendly language (several of which are available), wouldn't it?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whatever it says...

...I'll believe it when I can see it, touch it and use it, especially when HP is involved.

5. Gigabob

Is "The Machine" really better?

How does this new architecture advance computing performance over standards available today. My plan was to add a 20TB array into each 1U server using NVMe U.2 drives - which could employ either traditional 3D Flash or 3DXP in the future. Using 3DXP I would cut my RAM levels - from 512GB to 128GB and raise 3DXP installed to 2TB while keeping a local 20TB of PCIe NVMe in a local all flash array. Expected cost for this 1U pizza box is $3K- $4K less than a comparable 2U system with 20+ HDD's and 512GB of RAM. This should meet a large number of in-memory database, virtualization and other transaction processing requirements at a much lower cost than these projected future products of dubious incremental performance. The biggest question is how much recoding and new development is required for "The Machine" optimizations relative to my design using OTS parts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like