back to article Your anger is our energy, says Microsoft as it fixes Surface

Microsoft has delivered an update to fix annoying problems with Microsoft's Surface Pro 4 and Surface 4 typoslabs. Problems with Redmond's flagships emerged in October 2015, when users reported flickering screens, poor battery life and continued somnolence when being aroused from sleep mode. Microsoft acknowledged some issues …

1. djstardust

Early adopters ....

What a load of balls.

These were very expensive flagship products (announced months before release) that should have a perfect out of box experience. The Surface is now on it's 4th generation so I don't see what's early about that.

Imagine if Apple released Macbooks and ipads that took months to work properly?

Conversely I bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and I have not had a single issue with it. Been perfect since day one.

You would think it would be easy for Microsoft especially being both their OS and hardware.

Words fail me to describe the incompetence of this once fine organisation.

1. John P

Re: Early adopters ....

While it's the 4th gen of Surface, it's only the 2nd of the current form factor I think, although I fully agree that they really should've got their act together by now.

One has to wonder though what percentage of Surface users have actually had problems, as the ones with issues will always be the ones to post on forums, social media, etc.

I've had the SP4 since early November and have had no real issues with it. I get the occasional screen flicker when watching videos in Edge, but that's about it. Overall, I've been incredibly happy with it, most reliable machine I've ever had that I didn't build myself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You are the lucky one - mine fails to wake up about 25% of the time. The most irritating issue is that the it randomly activates Intel boost mode and then doesn't deactivate it which can reduce battery life to just over a hour.

The HP Spectre 360 is a much better product - similar form factor but just works.

2. hplasm
      Stop

"...this once fine organisation...."

Steady on now.

3. Sandtitz Silver badge

"Conversely I bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and I have not had a single issue with it."

Right. You haven't had issues.

Latest BIOS update readme for Yoga 2 states: "Increase the stability of DRAM".

4. TheVogon

Regardless of the bugs, apparently MS can't make enough of them fast enough to satisfy demand at the moment.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

<Imagine if Apple released Macbooks and ipads that took months to work properly?<

Why imagine? Just speak to anyone who took the iOS9.0 bug-fest.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IOS9? Pfft. Try IOS6 and Apple Maps - people were stranded in Australian outback bushes because of the laughable turn-by-turn navigation. Searching for 'Berlin' defaulted to middle of Antarctica and so forth. Several web pages were devoted to the silly results and terrible 3D graphics.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Your anger is our energy"

So Microsoft is populated by Psychic Vampires now? That explains a lot.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: "Your anger is our energy"

"Let the hate flow through you... Good. Good!"

A bit of a giveaway really.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Nice one.

2. Ye Gads

I think they're channelling Public Image Ltd

"Rise" to be specific

And, typical Microsoft: They're doing a bad job of copying someone else. It's not "Anger is our energy", it's "Anger is an energy".

Good song, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq7JSic1DtM

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: I think they're channelling Public Image Ltd

You could be wrong, you could be right.

3. Primus Secundus Tertius

It is a pity Microsoft do not have the same positive attitude to us users who demand a Windows 7+, not that 8/10 spyware rubbish.

They could even call it Windows 24/7, since it will probably take them until v24 to get things the way we want them as opposed to what MSFT marketing want.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Our anger is their energy?

No wonder they're the largest company.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Our anger is their energy?

The original line wasn't "anger is an energy", it was "angora's an energy".

In the mid-80s John Lydon was enthusiastic about alternative energy and invested much of his money in a scheme involving breeding angora rabbits then burning their wool to power electrical generators.

Unfortunately, the experimental power station at Caerbannog turned out not to be cost-effective, in part due to problems with keeping the rabbits under control.

A related scheme involving rising roads also turned out to be a major flop, mainly because no-one could understand what the **** it was about.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 must be like red bull...

1. hplasm
      Happy

Windows 10 must be like red bull...

Or a red rag to a bull.

Or a bit of rag.

1. Tromos

Re: Windows 10 must be like red bull...

Or maybe a bit like an ox. Or possibly both. Bull-ox. I think that's getting closer...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Windows 10 must be like red bull..."

Windows has always come across as the not-quite-right cheap knock-off, so in this case it'd be more like the 35p "Euro Shopper" energy drinks where you read the label and realise they've replaced half the sugar with cheap sweeteners, thus depriving you of even a low-rent sugar rush.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"I read the blogs, I read the comments, I read social media, I read the forums"

Maybe if you spent less time reading, you'd spend more time making sure your product works ?

Okay, cheap shot, I agree. Hardware is finicky enough, add software and you can really find yourself in quite a bind, I'll easily admit that. But trying to do the "we're listening" act when you work at Microsoft, well, let's just say that it's going to be a while before that approach is taken seriously.

And really, guys, was it so hard to put one of your new Surfaces in sleep mode and test before shipping ? Or have you actually been in frantic mode on this issue since before release ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "I read the blogs, I read the comments, I read social media, I read the forums"

"...you keep inspiring us with what you are able to do with Surface... you keep pushing us to make Surface even better.”

Anyway, yeah. Typical "we're listening" BS. Anyone else tired of the manufactured "enthusiasm" and vapid corporate "positivity" that seems to be the current trend for this sort of PR drivel?

Then again, they'll probably soon move onto something else and ruin that too. "Inspired" is another word that's been tainted by PR and advertising overuse. Every product claims to be "inspired by" some arty crap or down-to-earth-"real" trend. No... it was "inspired by" the desire to make money, the "inspired by" bit is just the crap you use to romanticise it for sale to the plebs.

The only thing these people have ever been "inspired by" is their paycheque, another line of coke, or the delusion that they're actually "creatives" when they're idea-stealing, intellectually-bankrupt parasitic wankers.

Ditto "passion" and "passionate", currently slathered over advertising copy as a lazy and gratingly fake way of trying to convince us that the people behind this are real-people-like-you-and-me-whose-heart-is-in-it and not just the bunch of soulless c***s in a corporate machine we might (rightly) have assumed they were otherwise.

7. g00se
    WTF?

Your call is important to us

feedback from our customers is really important to the team and to me personally. I read the blogs, I read the comments, I read social media ...

Pity they don't react to the reception of the spyware control-freak platform that's Windows 10

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't worry, I'm sure Microsoft will get it right in 2016.

Right?

9. Craig 2

".... users reported flickering screens, poor battery life and continued somnolence when being aroused from sleep mode."

"users reported they are generally shit."

FTFY

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fingers crossed they'll also roll out similar fixes for the sleep problems and graphics glitches that the previous generation Surface 3 Pro suffers from. oh wait, why would they... it's been 18 months and it's old kit now ... kinda embarassing for their flagship hardware if I get a better Windows 10 experience running it on a mid 2012 Mac Book Air than I do on my S3P

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just setup a few Surface Pro 4

They seemed fine, even after doing the non-vanilla "switch off all the feedback you can" option during the install and tying down what else I could in Group Policy.

Also using WSUS helps for the updates.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Just setup a few Surface Pro 4

Sure that helps. But you should not have to do any of that for a stable and privacy-respecting machine.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Please give energy generously

There's enough anger energy, well hysterical ranting energy really, on El Reg to power the Blackpool Illuminations.

13. N2

Youre anger is our energy?

"We love our Surface customers"?

What a load of dung.

Just fix your crappy stuff, stop using Joe Public as alpha testers & stop spying on people for starters

14. Elephantpm
    FAIL

I have Surface Pro 4 and lots of problems

I blogged a solution for some Threshold issues and I am getting 100 hits AN HOUR.

http://blog.jamesbayley.com/2016/01/03/fixed-one-or-more-network-protocols-are-missing-on-this-computer/

1. hplasm
      Unhappy

Re: I have Surface Pro 4 and lots of problems

Xrist, what a palaver. Isn't it easier to get a refund and buy something that works out of the box?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I have Surface Pro 4 and lots of problems

"and I am getting 100 hits AN HOUR."

Seeing as that site is running Linux (and MySQL / PHP / Wordpress) , probably they are just scanning it for vulnerabilities...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like