back to article Life's three certainties: Death, taxes and Salesforce losing money

Three things in this life are certain: death, taxes, and SaaSy player Salesforce reporting losses. And so it has come to pass that another quarter has gone by and CEO Marc Benioff’s biz is still finding ways to burn cash. For the three months ended 31 January, the online software slinger reported revenues of $1.809bn, up 25 …

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Trollface

They only lost $47 million!

On turnover of $1.6bn!

Time to buy all teh sharez...

Seriously... I've seen Nigerian princes with better scams than that...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They only lost $47 million!

Compared to Twitter they're a huge success. That, or Twitter has invented a way of hiding cash that involves DNA's multi-dimensional accountancy and a universe that, rather than being curved, is bent.

2. Chris G

As a percentage

Of turnover it's a small loss but with that kind of turnover a small saving in some aspect of the business should produce a recognisable profit.

Perhaps his business plan or model is wrong.

Or perhaps he should get a business man in.

1. Electron Shepherd

Re: As a percentage

The two other possibilities:

1) They actually made a large profit, and they got the creative accountants in to avoid having to actually pay tax.

2) They actually made a large(er) loss, and they got the creative accountants in to avoid having to answer awkward questions from the investors.

Don't forget, you can always tell a good accountant with a simple Q &A:

Q: "What's two plus two?"

A: "What would you like it to be?"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: As a percentage

Another possibility is that they are spending a lot on cloud service providers, I wonder who they use. AWS and their brethren can quickly get very costly when you scale up and out. In theory, fixable but you would still need businessmen and cloud architects (or at least some cloud calculators). I am available, I'll work for a cut of the savings.

3. Potemkine Silver badge
    Megaphone

I've already said this..

... but taxes are not a certainty if you are rich enough.

4. smartypants

Missing the point?

I don't think anyone here doesn't 'get' the idea that it would have been a good idea to buy Amazon shares or Salesforce shares years ago, despite the failure to post profits.

The thing that makes these company valuable for shareholders is simply the steadily increasing share price - something based entirely on their growing market share and turnover.

If the growth disappears, then clearly you'll want something else from your share ownership, such as a hefty dividend based on profits, or else you'll think of selling.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only thing tech investors care about is growth. No one cares about profit/EPS, ask IBM. As long as Benioff can maintain the growth rate, no one is going to be too worried about their profitability as they are clearly making successful investments in expanding their business. It is a lot of pressure though, because if that growth rate even slows down, which you would think it would have to at some point, the stock is going to tank.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SFDC probably has really expensive infrastructure costs as compared to the other SaaS providers. As they are among the oldest of the SaaS companies (and Benioff used to work at Oracle), they still use Oracle DBs under all of their services. Think about that Oracle bill.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like