back to article Cisco CTO: Containers will ride to private cloud's rescue. Oh yes!

The emergence of containers will spark a renaissance for on-premises data centers, thus luring many businesses away from public cloud services, Cisco CTO Zorawar Biri Singh reckons. Speaking at the Cisco Partner Summit in San Diego, Singh said he believes as much as 30 per cent of public cloud workloads will be going offline …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two words

Dream On

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Two words

As Rob Joyce, head of the National Security Agency (NSA) Tailored Access Operations (TAO) hacking team said in Janaury at the Usenix’s Enigma conference, once you use a cloud company you are handing your data over to them and so relying on their security.

In the US, National Security Letters (NSL), in which the authorities can secretly subpoena records & which over 10,000 per year are issued, are used for all sorts of investigations not related the National Security.

For example, the American Bar Association Journal & Washington Post have had a number of stories about the NSA supplying the Drug Enforcement Agency with info, and the DEA then creates fake back stories (lying to the courts) to cover up that the NSA was the source.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/08/05/the-nsa-is-giving-your-phone-records-to-the-dea-and-the-dea-is-covering-it-up/

There's no reason to think that this illegal behavior is limited to the DEA.

Assuming you were not smart enough to have never put it in the cloud in the first place, taking your data back from "the cloud" to your local control makes a lot of sense. .

2. SecurityPiglet

Very Wishful Thinking.

Wired had this right. http://www.wired.com/2015/10/meet-walking-dead-hp-cisco-dell-emc-ibm-oracle/

As Bloomberg Business feature writer, Elon Musk biographer, and unparalleled Silicon Valley hack Ashlee Vance puts it: “Why don’t IBM, HP, EMC, Dell and Cisco all merge and get this thing over with?”

What is this conundrum? Well, we’ll let Vance explain that too. When someone asked what we should call that IBM-HP-EMC-Dell-Cisco merger, his response was wonderfully descriptive. He suggested we call the company Fucked By The Cloud.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: Very Wishful Thinking.

Whilst I agree that the article you linked to has some good points; I think that the scenario of cloud versus on-premises is analogous to the electricity industry.

The vast majority of us don't have our own electricity generators on-site, instead we buy it by plugging into the local grid; but that hasn't put all the companies who make generators out of business, there are always use-cases for off-grid electricity generation and there will always be organisations with a use-case for off-cloud computing (defence, banking etc.). Banking alone will probably keep IBM's mainframe business going for decades.

The Cisco CTO is also correct that they are in the business of connecting people to the cloud, so they have a different set of problems which are also facing the others i.e. the rise of Chinese tech-giants like Huawei.

So while I think that some of these businesses will get smaller, they will evolve their core offerings to fit the final ratio of cloud/on-premises that drops out of the market (unless they are run by morons, like Kodak were, in which case they are FUBAR).

3. CheesyTheClown

It's about cost

Public cloud makes sense because it's damn near impossible to get all the features and stability of a public cloud service like Amazon or Azure in house. Expertise are expensive and IT staff is a bloody nightmare because they have specialties and finding a data center expert is nearly impossible. I know I have never met one and I train 300 "data center experts" a year.

Private clouds make sense when it becomes possible to buy a single finished solution which mostly updates and manages itself. 3 solutions nearing this have been released this past year. Cisco's open stack solution is pretty close but more or less useless unless you're only deploying containers and have no real world needs. Dell and Microsoft's solution is excellent but is only a quarter finished and lacks support from a good organization (Dell sells servers, they suck at cloud).

If Microsoft ships servers (could happen), game over. Private cloud rocks. Of course, Cisco and Microsoft could make it happen too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's about cost

I think it was reported here that Microsoft has a patent for a single enclosure that houses 4 compute nodes and some storage and built-in networking. Moore's law and public cloud are a powerful combination. For most organizations, the near future holds significantly less on-premises compute and storage, a fast link into one or more cloud providers and lots of public cloud consumption. Multi-cloud Hybrid IT will be the dominant cloud configuration model moving forward if it isn't already today.

4. Venaax

Such a huge company,

Such lackluster management.

Jesus christ, risk management damnit.

Also, with the 3064, using vendor silicon -- what were they thinking @.@

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like