back to article WANdisco boss: 'We're seeing a humongous movement to the cloud'

WANdisco has active-active replication technology that's been used for disaster recovery and other business continuity-type uses. That's all well and good but not epoch-making or associated with major disruptions ... until now. If what WANdisco CEO and cofounder Dave Richards says is true, the entire on-premises IT …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Plan x for when it all goes titsup

I do hope he and others like him have a very good plan for when the internet connection goes down for whatever reason.

All of these cloud offerings all have a single point of failure - the connection between the user office and the cloud providers data centre, or do they expect every user to have a dedicated land line or fibre connection between those two places.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Plan x for when it all goes titsup

Business are being seduced by promises of lower costs. It seems likely, they'll just push the problem & blame onto users, suppliers, affiliates. ...Someone else's computer.... Spin will surely win the day for CloudFog!

2. OnlyMee

Re: Plan x for when it all goes titsup

I work as engineer on one of the vendors listed here. Maybe we are talking about a different things but most of the systems we see moving first are external customer facing or partner facing. This means that the actual users come over the internet regardless where the system is hosted.

Compared to on premise using any of the big 5 cloud vendors you get none of the bigger players put data center anywhere that does not give connection to at least 2 physical power networks and 3 telco networks for redundancy.

Now when it comes to internal applications yes can connect your on prem to cloud with fiber cable if you need to / want to, but reality is changing there as well. I routinely work from remote sites, home (we have some who come to office on once every 3 months) or from customer premises so internet just has to work thinking that it's ok as long as connection to working to local premise is no longer true anyways.

Having a local apps to avoid internet related issues might still be true for a hospital, manufacturing site or a university but not for most other environments. Even there internet down pretty fast effects on communication, supply chain etc.

2. RollTide14

Maybe I am off the mark here....

But can someone please explain to me how cloud is cheaper? I understand those specific bursty workloads that require 50X your normal server workload for 2 times a year are massively cheaper to put out there, but there is just no freaking way you can tell me AWS is 5X cheaper than building on prem. The calculations I've done (granted they were about a year ago) showed workloads being 4-27 times more expensive in AWS. If someone can try and walk me through those numbers, I'd love to learn.

1. Ragarath

Re: Maybe I am off the mark here....

I've been doing calculations, admittedly with Azure, recently to weigh up our options. We do not have a great need for servers here. AD, SQL, Fileserver and Exchange. Just putting this into the cload works out At a minimum of twice as expensive over 5 years. That is also not counting the things that would have to stay on prem.

Our costs for on site IT personnel remain the same. You still need the 1 person that knows how it works.

1. Smoking Gun

Re: Maybe I am off the mark here....

Did you price in your year 5 hardware refresh?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'We're seeing a humongous movement to the cloud'

Are we sure it's not just a humongous bowel movement?

4. Benno

$?

Do the $ figures quoted take into consideration that the 'online' providers still need to buy kit? Or are we just assuming that they magically create resources for their new customers without it?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: $?

Assume magic? Yep.

Have an up vote.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: $?

They have their own supply chains that cut out the intermediaries (those pesky vendors in the article). Thus a different costs structure than your "typical enterprise."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well

Public Cloud is happenin people. There is no denying its viability for a wide variety of IT implementations. That said, hybrid environments will be the dominant implementation model for the foreseeable future. AND, its just the beginning. Case(s) in point - Microsoft "stretch" technology in Windows Server 2016, SQL Server 2016 and SharePoint next. If anyone hasn't spent a couple hours researching what Microsoft is really doing in the cloud, its high time to do so. The entire story - Azure, Office 365, CRM Online, Hybrid everywhere, OMS, Polybase, etc, etc - is mind blowing and they are just getting started. The most the competition can do is hope their customers don't find out what Microsoft is doing. Now, making it all work and providing true business value is another thing all together, but the tech and mojo are amazing if you really investigate their offers and near-term roadmap. Hey, I'm just a messenger.

6. gnufrontier

Big Box

If your business requires an internet connection to operate then one is already at the mercy of the connection. The cloud is to data what the grid is to electricity.

7. teebie

"The fully loaded cost to store 1TB of data on premises is $27,000 according to some sources.

The fully loaded cost to store 1TB of data in the public cloud is under $5,000 according to the same sources, less than a fifth."

Could you tell anything about us who those sources are? Or at least whether they are the same sources who paid you to run this article?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So you are accusing Chris Mellor of taking a bribe...Teebie

ODFO.

1. teebie

Re: So you are accusing Chris Mellor of taking a bribe...Teebie

No, I'm saying this looks like an advert posing as an article.

8. boatsman

27 usd for a gbyte / year ?

I advice you to change vendor.

you're making a direct comparison with cloud storage.

must mean that fte cost is not in there, apart from the 0,1 fte for handling all the hardware stuff around storage. assuming the avg company has let us say 100 tbyte, with 10% of a 30K guy, the FTE cost is meaningless. ( 3 cts per GB, per year)

databases, documents, vm storage, they still need to be managed and secured, so that cost sits on both sides.

really. buy something else.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like