back to article LOHAN sponsor knocks up nifty iMac fish tank

It's a tip of the hat today to Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) sponsor Lucidica for demonstrating an entertaining way to fill the time while waiting for Federal Aviation Administration approval for an audacious rocket-powered spaceplane launch. There are basically two ways you can handle the FAA "long silence": go …

1. lawndart

says

Conjoined computers. Just right for a Siamese Fighting Fish

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Thumb Up

An observation

Perhaps a new LOHAN paint job would speed things along. Stars and stripes everywhere, photos of fighter jets, hamburgers and riveting slogans like "Git 'er done" would appeal to the goldfish-like bureaucracy at the FAA.

That, or cover the fuselage with Donald Trump images and bumper stickers. They'll be pleading with you to send it into orbit, with the caveat that it never comes back, of course.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
    Coat

...waiting for Jake to post that he did something like that 35 years ago, but with mainframe housings and sharks...

1. Blue Pumpkin

Some guy called Jake ....

.... makes his living from it http://macquarium.jakeharms.com

But there is a nicer collection of Maquariums here based on various models over the years:

http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collection/MacAquarium/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Almost. Sun put Wayne Rosing's office & desk in the shark tank in SF one April fool's day, to celebrate the launch of the SPARCstation 1. I still have a SHARKstation t-shirt, but can't find any photos of the event on the web.

3. Vic

waiting for Jake to post that he did something like that 35 years ago

My dad built a fish tank out of a TV tube[1] much earlier than that.

There were some interesting shapes in the glass, so the fish became somewhat distorted as they swam around...

Vic.

[1] He always warned me never to have anything to do with fixing TVs, as you tend to get a knock on the door of an evening when you really don't want to be working. I followed this advice - not realising that these days, it would be PCs that need fixing :-(

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An evolution of the old Mac 128/Plus/Classic/SE aquarium re-use once the caps had leaked everywhere.

Seeing as the iMac has been LCD since the 'lampshade', and eMacs are are rare as hens teeth, what will we use for future aquariums?

Dell towers were one suggestion, but for the lack of transparency.

4. magickmark
    Coat

Thats a bit of a fishy story!!

Sorry, I'll get my coat!

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

Hmmm...

I have an old G3 Mac Pro (the grey plastic one, before they went 'Cheesegrater Aluminium) that could be similarly re-worked as an aquarium. Or vivarium, if lizards are your thing.

6. Dr. Mouse

Pretty cool.

On a serious note, how long has it been now? I remember boring my former wide with updates on LOHAN, and we split over a year ago now!

7. ukgnome

pretty

I wonder if Carlos the Boss would let me have one.

Also have you considered asking Red Bull to lend a hand with the twazzocks that control the skies? They seem to get their way.

8. PJD

The 'register an explosives company in Spain' option is beginning to look like it might have been the quick and red-tape-lite option..

9. macjules

We've asked Lucidica to turn their skills to putting together a Blofeld-style piranha pool, complete with bridge over which FAA bureacrats will be invited to walk.

The trouble with state-engineered piranha pools is that you inevitably end up with a Capita managed-project cost overrun. Usually this means that instead of piranhas you will most likely get bad-tempered minnows with a vague promise to upgrade their bite capability at some distant time in the future.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like