back to article Pretty, Nimble, but these financials just aren't nimble enough

Nimble Storage’s revenues rose to $90.1m in its fourth fiscal 2016 quarter but its losses deepened, to $32.4m, counter-balancing that good news. Overall revenues didn’t rise enough to assuage investors' concerns about future profitability. The company has fixed the big hole in its product line with the release of an all-flash …

1. Palpy

"Our glorious troops --

-- continue to advance without losing a foot of ground." -- possibly apocryphal military bulletin from the Spanish Civil War. Kind of similar to "Revenue rises tempered by deepening losses."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lagging behind Pure?

It's interesting to me that Pure is reporting quarterly revenue of $150+ million, and Nimble is still stuck in the double digits at $90 million. Is the reason for the wide gap solely due to Nimble's lack of an AFA product until now, or is there something else going on?

I know that Pure has a huge war chest of funding built up to attack the market (especially the enterprise), and they still have losses, but their growth has been amazing.

As the other article here on The Reg stated, Nimble better sell the hell out of their new AFA. It'll be an interesting year in the storage field to see who comes out on top.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lagging behind Pure?

I think Tintri is the wild card here. No one know exactly what is going on because they are still private, but they seem to be turning up the heat on the bigger names in new storage, like Pure. Tintri's software integration with VMware/Hyper V is pretty slick. Arguably the best stack out there. There will definitely be winners and losers in this new storage space in the next year or two. Most will go away, some will get acquired, maybe one company comes out of this as a major player unto themselves... probably either Pure or Tintri, maybe both.

Who I would definitely not want to be right now is NetApp. Talk about a storm of competition. They have the cloud players like Azure and AWS coming at them... and the new storage players like Tintri... and the OS/VM software defined storage offerings from VMware, Microsoft and Red Hat... and, of course, EMC, HDS, IBM, HP and all their traditional competitors. I guess Apple isn't going after their business, but everyone else in the IT world seems to be.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lagging behind Pure?

Are they lagging behind?

Pure lost $44m to generate revenue of $150m last quarter,

Last year NImble lost $35m to generate $332m.

They are at different phases of their life cycle. There becomes a point where profitability is a more important driver than revenue, but they all need to balance those factors.

We certainly are at an interesting time for the industry,

3. ben_myers

The larger the revenue, the larger the loss

The larger the revenue, the larger the loss. This is not a good trend.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon