back to article Microsoft has made SQL Server for Linux. Repeat, Microsoft has made SQL Server 2016 for Linux

Microsoft has ported its SQL Server software to Linux and has promised to release it in full by next year. From today, the Windows giant, which once likened Linux to cancer, will show off to a lucky few a preview of its SQL database's core engine for the open-source operating system. The full SQL Server 2016 for Linux will be …

Page:

1. cbars Bronze badge

Wow

Ah, will that be just for the Microsoft flavour?

Well makes sense I suppose. Shrewd bastards

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/18/microsoft_has_developed_its_own_linux_repeat_microsoft_has_developed_its_own_linux/

1. Ilsa Loving
      WTF?

Re: Wow

The link got chopped and is also missing the x at the end, so here it is again: http://tinyurl.com/oq9952u

Also... Hell just got a whole lot cooler...

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Also... Hell just got a whole lot cooler...

Definitely. I just booked an appointment for a pierced eardrum with my GP. The pig squadron from the nearby airbase didn't just take off, they went hypersonic above a residential area. My eardrums still hurt from that....

Looking at the calendar once, twice, thrice - nope it is still not 1st of April.

1. Mr. Byte

Well, Hell might be a half-degree cooler, but until Hell reaches a cold-death state, no way will MSSQL be on any servers I run.

Also, +9000 for the flying pig ref. You sir, are now OVER 9000!!! You win 1 Internet.

2. Joseph Haig

Just as Apple based OS X on BSD are we going to see Microsoft build a future version of Windows on Linux?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Just as Apple based OS X on BSD are we going to see Microsoft build a future version of Windows on Linux?

If that happens, hell will become the best place in the universe to perform superconductivity and superfluidics research. In igloos built out of solid nitrogen.

1. TheVogon

"Just as Apple based OS X on BSD are we going to see Microsoft build a future version of Windows on Linux?"

Unlikely I think. Microsoft are more likely to roll a Linux run-time into Windows imo. They previously had a full POSIX one with Services for UNIX (now deprecated).

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

SAP ASE runs on Linux and is at least as fully featured as Oracle or SQL Server..... some would say its better but let's not get into that.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Yeah, but SAP (Sybase) ASE isn't going to sell for the same reason HANA will sell. ISV support and skill base. SAP is trying to give it away... if you give them a boat load of cash for HANA.

2. scb930

Ingres is still supported on Linux, windows and a variety of unix platforms.

3. TheVogon

"SAP ASE runs on Linux and is at least as fully featured as Oracle or SQL Server"

Yes OK, and Ingres and DB2 and a few others. But few COTS applications support them compared to Oracle and MS SQL. Oracle now have real competition in this space is what I was getting at.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> Oracle now have real competition in this space

Which can only be a Good Thing (tm). It might reduce the size of LSL's next island purchase!

3. herman

It is MS doing their little part to fight global warming.

2. TheVogon

If you have to or want to use Linux, at least there is now a more cost effective fully featured commercial database option besides Oracle...This can only be good news.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In a couple of years their will be Winux and Loseux?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Imagine my joy

I'm almost as excited by this development as I was by the news that DB2 was coming to Linux.

1. Lord_Beavis
      Trollface

Re: Imagine my joy

Do I detect a touch of sarcasm?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Now if only they had clippy

1. Anonymous Coward
          Linux

I want to see Clippy appear in the SQL Server DBM console, and then Tux shows up onscreen and pushes him out of the way.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Clippy for Linux. I think the internet has a missing rule.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Clippy grew a vagina??

1. hplasm
              Devil

~"Clippy grew a vagina??"

Clippy always was one...

2. Ogi

Aaah "Vigor", back when "obligatory xkcd" was "obligatory userfriendly strip":

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20000108

One of the first online comics I found, and got me hooked on the medium. Still one of my all time fave comics, and now I feel old, lol.

3. Alan Bourke

Is this the level of Microsoft slagging these days? Clippy? Really?

Why not put a '$' for the 's' in 'MS' as well, since you seem to be in a retro mood.

2. daealc

Clippy evolved and became cortana, thats next quarter :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Cortana" is that a bit like my first car, a rusty Dagenham Dustbin ?

Does cortana go in directions you don't want to go ( like straight on and not around the corner due to crap suspension ) like my rusty old Cortina did ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Imagine my joy. me too.

I was almost wetting myself , maybe like yourself.

I mean I can now ditch Postgres and/or MySQL ( okay oracle have probably sodded that up now ) and start paying some money to the Bill Gates retirement fund. I guess the poor so and so probably needs a few bob to buy another private island with airfield, private jets and a nice big harbour for a fleet of yachts.

I like to do my bit for charity, so buying SQL Server on Linux could be my bit for His Holiness William of Gates.

I don't think anyone would want his holiness to have an austere retirement.

So come on ditch postgres and start buying SQL Server on Linux !

3. Anonymous Curd

e2e encryption, data masking, in-database R scripts, in memory tech, OLAP, OLTP, cheap as muck on Azure.

If you were in the market for a proprietary RDBMS, why would anyone, today, seriously consider DB2, Oracle, Teradata etc?

1. Nate Amsden

For me, oracle because I have more experience with it. I deployed oracle instead of mssql for my vcenter dbs. All of our production shit is mysql. It works fine though instrumentation is a joke.

Maybe I'd consider mssql on linux after a 3 to 5 year track record. In the meantime any db needs to run on linux. I can do windows OK (only one on my team that can). More comfortable with linux of course though.

1. Danny 14

i remember cutting my teeth in filemaker pro at tescos. That was a weird bit of software.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I deployed oracle instead of mssql for my vcenter dbs"

You didn't virtualise Oracle on VMware did you? Hope you have deep pockets if you did.

3. TheVogon

"For me, oracle because I have more experience with it."

Understandable. But it must have cost lots more?

2. Deltics

Scale ?

Not saying that SQL Server can't scale, but it seems to require a deal more effort where the big boys take large scale databases in their stride (which of course can lead to the reverse problem, where using them to manage smaller DB's seems like (and often is) overkill because those systems are built to deal with the really big stuff as the norm, with all the unavoidable scope and complexity in their management tools that this entails).

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Depends what you mean by scale. SQL Server scales to large databases much better than either Postgres or MySQL. We have no trouble running SQL Server up to 5TB and one of our suppliers runs it to 10TB for us. In house we move to a clustered db once we get above a few TB.

There are a lot of myths about SQL Server not scaling, they tend to come from someone trying to run a big DB on inappropriate hardware, given proper hardware (i.e. not running everything off of one disc controller) it's fine.

All of our transactional Oracle stuff we've migrated to MySQL or SQL Server, the Oracle fees are just too high.

1. Long John Brass

> they tend to come from someone trying to run a big DB on inappropriate hardware

With sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine

1. veti Silver badge

For most purposes, SQL Server scales fine. I've seen it running just fine in enterprises with something like a thousand concurrent users. Sure, that's by no means the biggest company out there, and it certainly leaves space for Oracle above it - but it is in the top 2% or thereabouts.

No, the real story here is going to be in the small print. This isn't "embrace, extend, extinguish", this is bait and switch. "We're porting SQL Server to Linux! Except if you want all the features, you'll need to switch to Windows Server."

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

RDBs do not scale well in general, but SQL scales as well as Oracle.

1. John Doe 6

Uhmm... NO!

Oracle and DB2 scales up to System Z which is a magnitude over the max 8 socket PC/Wintel architecture.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Have an upvote for mentioning

System Z

2. TheVogon

"Oracle and DB2 scales up to System Z which is a magnitude over the max 8 socket PC/Wintel architecture."

Uhmm... NO!

http://www8.hp.com/lamerica_nsc_carib/en/products/integrity-servers/product-detail.html

That can run Windows Server. Scale out is usually the cost effective way to go these days though...

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

http://www8.hp.com/lamerica_nsc_carib/en/products/integrity-servers/product-detail.html

Agree, the HP Superdome X has solved, or at least mitigated, the scale up problems with Windows and x86 in general. I still say that it is a moot point, world runs on scale out and cluster. Paying a giant multiple for scale up doesn't make much sense as almost all apps cluster now... but if that is what does it for you, go ahead and run SQL on Superdome X. Got that base covered too.

3. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"Oracle and DB2 scales up to System Z which is a magnitude over the max 8 socket PC/Wintel architecture."

Oracle is no longer supported on z/OS. You can run it on zLinux, not a popular option but possible. DB2 does scale well on z. I used to work at IBM and the vast majority of DB2, in general, runs on z. The cost of running DB2 on z/OS is high, but it works well. You can also buy Power boxes which scale up to 32 sockets, which would be the Oracle option (although IBM is getting rid of the scale up systems because of demand). Oracle dings you on software licensing cost if you use Power, but it is way better than anything they have in their Sun portfolio... or, I should say, because it is way better than anything they have.

I wouldn't argue that z is the best scale up platform out there. The issue is that scale up isn't really the way the world works to an increasing extent. Scale up began to go out when the web scale providers told Sun Micro that there was no way they were paying $x million for Unix scale up back in the day and would figure out a way to scale out and cluster PC boards instead... which they did... now you can use a 10,000 socket architecture on an Azure or Amazon cloud and the scale question is moot.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

... and with enough cash you can afford an Oracle license.

But we could swap nonsense all day. I'd have time as my TB SQL Server instance with billion row tables is running just fine...

3. Adam 52 Silver badge

"With sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine"

The serious point is that a lot of SQL Server installs were done by people from a desktop background, who saw nothing wrong with a 500GB database with a 50MB/sec disc subsystem.

Oracle DBAs tended to be more experienced and better at specifying a server. Also Oracle would/do refuse to support inadequate hardware.

You still see the former thinking in some places, btw, with Hadoop clusters based on machines where the IO system is way underspecified for the processing power.

1. dajames

The serious point is that a lot of SQL Server installs were done by people from a desktop background, who saw nothing wrong with a 500GB database with a 50MB/sec disc subsystem.

Another serious point is that many SQL Server installations were done by people who thought they needed an "industry standard" RDBMS but whose database requirements were actually only for a few hundred to a few thousand records (of just a kB or two) in a single table. For that matter I've seen Oracle deployed for smaller datasets ("because we've got a lot of Oracle experience in-house, and our customers will pay for the licences if we tell them they have to").

Sometimes you really do need a huge industrial-strength DBMS, but surprisingly often SQLite will do just fine!

4. Nigel 11

With sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine

Don't they tend to fall apart in mid-air?

1. Ogi

Hmm... perhaps we need to do some more testing/research?

Worst case scenario... its raining roast bacon pieces!

2. hplasm
              Happy

Re:With sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine

"Don't they tend to fall apart in mid-air?"

Like Clouds...

1. Derek R

Re: Re:With sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine

...but there will be free bacon after reentry. Hmm, bacon.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like