back to article Oracle tweaks exchange rate, hikes up database prices in UK

Oracle’s database customers are set for a five per cent price hike in the UK. The database giant is bumping up charges across the board for user and processor licences, for software update licences as well as support for Standard Edition 2, Enterprise Edition and on NoSQL Database Enterprise Edition. Unlike some other Oracle …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just at the same time that MS are announcing SQL being converted to Linux ... good timing MS.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We were warned by Cisco that their prices were going to go up considerably in March due changes in the exchange rate.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Larry needs a new planet

Obviously a mega-mega yacht is not good enough for him.

Can we send him to Uranus {please}

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Larry needs a new planet

Can we send him to Uranus

You'd need to surgically extract him from his own first.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Larry needs a new planet

Only that's not Larry anymore. He has all but retreated to a role he actually likes. This is all on Safra. Maybe she wants a yacht of her own, and wants it soon.

4. PassiveSmoking

Time to start using Postgres! *

* MySQL is Oracle's b*tch

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It would appear it is time for some programmers to get together and produce a tool to port the data from Oracle database to an open source one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It would appear it is time for some programmers to get together and produce a tool to port the data from Oracle database to an open source one."

http://ora2pg.darold.net/start.html

Then you get to port the application ...

2. PassiveSmoking

http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/products-overview/postgres-plus-solution-pack/migration-toolkit

5. simpfeld

Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire

"already switching from Oracle to less expensive options, including Microsoft’s SQL Server"

If MS ever reach anywhere near Oracle's market share expect their usual "boil the frog" price increase model. I'd have thought switch to someone else, and I mean anyone else but MS.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Exchange rate scam? Or just unfair.

I think it is a little questionable how US companies (or anyone for that matter) can change the cost of the product during the contract period based on exchange rate.

I appreciate that the exchange rate changes and so their costs might change, but if I am subject to the ups and downs of the exchange rate, shouldn't i be offered the product in dollars? Buy direct from the US and pay them in US money? Probably not practical and likely not legal in the current safe harbour kerfuffle, but if a customer is subject to negatives of exchange rates they should also have the the possibility of the positives?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck Oracle

That is all

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like