back to article Pure uncloaks rack-scale FlashBlade object filer for unstructured data crowd

FlashBlade is Pure Storage’s rack-scale flash system for multi-protocol access to unstructured data and the first all-flash object-based unstructured data storage system. Although its rack-scale is differentiated from EMC’s DSSD rack-scale flash system, which is primarily for latency-sensitive structured data. It is a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ha

Less than three weeks ago I had a briefing with a large competitor at their exec briefing center where they claimed the big Pure reveal was going to simply be native NFS/CIFS in the current line, not a new product.

Guess quite a few people have been caught unawares.

1. MortenMadsen

Re: Ha

They presented it to us at the customer advisory board last year and at that time they had a few customers running the system in "pre-alfa".

almost everybody said they wanted CIFS, but they also pitched idea of doing something very different like backup directly to the system without backup software.

They do have a lot of processing power in 4U, so I guess they could do a lot of interesting things.

At the time they planned 40 gb Ethernet, hope that will not hold back the deployments.

2. Mr.Nobody

sound great, but

This sounds incredible. I want one, but...

CIFS isn't included in GA. Why? I would think this would block a bunch of sales, because who knows when it going to arrive, and a lot of people depend on cifs, rightly or wrongly, for their business.

And then it begs the question - what version?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: sound great, but

Name a scale out computing environment that uses cifs. Go home MCSE.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is my maths off, or would $1/GB make a single unit (assuming 1.6PB per blade, and 10 blades) make it $1.6 million?

I'm assuming I've done something wrong :\ That seems a lot for a 4U unit when you're trying to justify it to the board. It may well be worth it, but in my experience the board like to see something physical for their money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well

In my experience they don't want to see anything for the money! A surge in moving to the 'cloud' has proven that. The 'board' doesn't even know what the 'thing' is :)

16PB of usable SSD for $1.6m may not be far off if the article is right.....?!

What would pay for say.....1PB of *disk* from one of the big vendors? More if not the same!

2. decoy_underpants

Re: owncloud...

You don't have to buy it fully populated.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Remember that is 1.6PB 'Effective'@3:1 data reduction@$1/GB. If the customer doesn't get 3:1 then the cost per GB is much higher, capacity much lower and they need more flash blades. This is the absolute top end which might be true for a tiny handful of installations. Its like airlines advertising tickets for $1 when in fact only one seat is available for that price and all the others are $500.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. EMC is the Best <3

They'll have quite a challenge competing with DDN. I doubt their salesforce knows how to sell into scale out compute environments. I like the concept, and I think it is the future, but I don't think Pure will have a solid hit with this at all. These types of scale out deals take a long time to get off the ground.

This is however, a great validation of the statement "SSD is dead".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon