back to article AWS's grand plan: It'll slurp your databases, spit them into its cloud

Amazon is to launch its AWS Database Migration Service today, in a bid to slurp big enterprises into the cloud by making it easier to ditch their legacy systems, according to reports. Since the beginning of the year, more than 1,000 databases from “many hundreds” of companies have used an early version of its migration service …

1. Matt J

Not just to AWS...

...but it also supports replication to/from on-premise or 3rd party cloud-hosted databases as well; only requirement is for a "database migration" instance to be running in AWS to act as the connector between the two.

Check out: http://dms-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/awsdms-ug.pdf#CHAP_GettingStarted for more details.

2. Proto Primate

German cloud!

“Access to a scalable, inexpensive public cloud provided by a German service provider from a German data center under German law"

As opposed to AWS in German data centers, where the data stays unless a customer explicitly allows it it to move. He also forgot about the other partner, so it should read, "“Access to a scalable, inexpensive public cloud provided by a German service provider with a Chinese partner from a German data center running Chinese equipment under German law"

What he did get completely correct is the "inexpensive" part, so long as there's some level of equality in features and functionality. Can't see how that bit could fail against AWS...

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: German cloud!

"As opposed to AWS in German data centers, where the data stays unless a customer explicitly allows it it to move."

I have a feeling that data in an AWS German data centre might just move if the FBI get a warrant regardless of what the customer allows. And I have a sneaky feeling that a lot of it might move to the NSA anyway, just in case.

Or was their a joke/troll icon I missed?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like