back to article Judging by these numbers, Dell can't wait for EMC to turn up and unload its storage

Dell's storage revenues are declining while its servers and networking figures increase. Of course, when Dell buys EMC, that'll sort out Dell's storage numbers. The figures were revealed in a filing submitted by Dell to US financial watchdog the SEC on March 11. The dossier includes revenues for its Enterprise Systems Group ( …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drowning Not Waving?

According to IDC EMC is doing worse than Dell.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/14/idc_storage_tracker_tracks_netapp_down/

I wouldn't say EMC is worse than Dell, but they do seem comparable. I wonder if a drowning person's best help comes from another drowning person?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two sinkung ships

Seems to me that both ships are sinking. Colliding them in the middle of the ocean will make one larger, yet sinking, ship. I don't get it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Two sinkung ships

If you think EMC is sinking, you don't know much about enterprise-scale storage. The Dell EMC merger is a great match overall, as EMC's hyper-converged stacks (VxRack, etc) will swap out existing servers for Dell servers and increase revenue for both companies. EMC's overall revenue may be declining a bit as things shift from big iron VMAX arrays (which are still HIGHLY relevant - but for more specific Tier 1 workloads) to converged, hyper-converged and all-flash arrays.

VSAN and ScaleIO are still gaining traction as they're starting to be seen more and more outside of non-prod and tier-2 apps, and moving into larger scale tier 1 workloads. That shift is a natural course and EMC is adjusting as revenue shifts from it's mainstay (VMAX) to things like XtremIO - which is growing quite a bit.

The unknown I think is where VMware sits in all of this, does it stay put or spin-off as a separate company, who knows at this point. Overall though, EMC/Dell is poised to create a powerhouse that has an incredibly strong portfolio across pretty much every use case. And no, I don't work for Dell or EMC. :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like