back to article Oracle whistles happy tune as shadow of AWS bus parks on database lawn

Oracle is brushing off challenges from Amazon Web Services and Microsoft to its core database business as a natural consequence of leadership. Rivals are pouncing to take advantage of the shift from on-prem licensing of software to the cloud, the firm reckoned. “People are coming after us, because we are by far the market …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Oracle is brushing off challenges from Amazon Web Services"

Erm, in what way is this a *challenge* from AWS exactly?

This is running real Oracle software, on AWS hardware. Presumably AWS have struck a licencing deal with Oracle to do this; and on terms that Oracle is happy with. They also let you bring in your existing Oracle licences:

https://aws.amazon.com/oracle/

So this is simply locking people into ongoing Oracle licencing, one way or the other. Oracle should be very happy with that.

Or is the article simply saying that Oracle would rather people put their Oracle apps in Oracle's own also-ran cloud? Maybe that's true, but why should Oracle worry? Cloud hosting is a cut-throat, low-margin business compared to its database and application licencing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Oracle is brushing off challenges from Amazon Web Services"

Because it removes any contact Oracle might have had with the customer. This vastly increases the risk that those customers might consider an alternative RDBMS (or NoSQL/MapReduce).

1. DainB Bronze badge

Moron detector

How exactly NoSQL/MapReduce is a replacement for Oracle DB ? Do you have slightest or any at all idea what's the difference between them ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Moron detector

> How exactly NoSQL/MapReduce is a replacement for Oracle DB ?

Nobody said it was. This isn't talking about dynamo db or anything like that. AWS are simply offering to run *Oracle* on AWS cloud - not just the database, but also the middleware.

For many customers, being able to use Oracle but not having to deal with Oracle directly (i.e. offloading all the licensing issues) is a huge win.

None of this makes it any easier to migrate from Oracle to another database.

2. Stevie

I understand the difference.

But to most of the rest of the world they both are just ways of delivering up previously stored information on demand.

You need to run statements like those in the article through a "where user comprehension class =" filter before charging phasers.

The good news is that people like us are the ones making the case for the technology based on use case.

The bad news is that we have to make the reasons for the choice made comprehensible to those who have little to no background in the way this stuff works.

Let's hope we are a bit more circumspect and patient than your average El Reg commentard, eh?

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I get the reflexive knee jerking about buzzwords, but it wasn't necessarily a moronic question. As the big boy in the legacy DB space, there are plenty of logging, analytics, etc., workloads that have been shoehorned into Oracle DBs when it was the only game available that would be better served by map/reduce approaches. When you talk about the broader NoSQL space, there are even more.

2. a_yank_lurker

AWS offers other databases and probably is big enough to drive a better bargain with Leisure Suit Larry. Also, AWS is less concerned about which database you use but rather that you are using their services so they are just as likely to help set an Oracle database as PostgreSQL. Oracle does not have direct end user contact and the customer loyalty is not to Oracle but AWS.

1. DainB Bronze badge

So, customer still pays license fees to Oracle and someone else supporting them ? I'm sure Oracle will be laughing all the way to the bank.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oracle is one of the databases they use, but not the only option and not the preferred option. They seem to be trying to push people to Cassandra, but, ultimately, it's Amazon and they are going to sell whatever they can sell. I'm not so sure I would take them up on it.

2. Mr Spoo's Owner

Amazon migrating Oracle dbs to Amazon Aurora db on AWS?

That would take Oracle out of the picture completely... If it's possible to do so. I suppose that depends on the db/application.

3. Alister
    Thumb Up

Love the pic accompanying the article:

"Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like