back to article She's coming... the Chief Data Officer

The chief data officer is on the rise. The number of CDOs appointed by major organisations rose from 400 in 2014 to 1,000 in 2015, according to Gartner. By 2019, 90 per cent will have a CDO, the analyst says. Their rapid emergence raises important questions about the role and position of the CDO in organisations. More …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Headmaster

That's www.theregister.CO.UK

Come on, it's okay to use the third person plural when talking about the third person singular where their gender doesn't matter.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What do we call the chief digital officers now then?

1. Gordon 10

Just what we always did - a waste of space and oxygen.

3. LegalAlien

Data Protection Officers

This is partly due to the requirement which the new Data Protection Regulation will introduce (which requirement already exists in some countries e.g. Germany) that organisation must appoint a "Data Protection Officer", that could be done by in-house Legal, or indeed within the CIO remit, but given the legal/privacy nature of the duties, the CIO may not be the best person/team to manage this function. Also, because the Regulation is going to introduce competition-law levels of fines for data protection breaches (e.g. 3% of annual revenues) there is a serious incentive to manage these risks, up to C-level.

4. thondwe

CIO - Chief Information Officer? CDO Chief Data Officer?

Spot the difference? Or has the CIO the wrong title?

5. Elmer Phud

C.D.O.

A place for the buck to stop before it gets too high up the foodchain?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Elmer Phud

CDO = Fall Guy = Scapegoat

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

am I the only one

Who thibnks a speechwriter and someone who hangs around shoreditch and 'innovative' wannabe's are dangerously under qualified to be called CIO's and just waiting for the revolving door to move them into another CxO role?

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: am I the only one

<quote>Who thibnks (sic) a speechwriter and someone who hangs around shoreditch and 'innovative' wannabe's are dangerously under qualified to be called CIO's and just waiting for the revolving door to move a Trebuchet to launch them into another CxO role career trajectory?</quote>

FTFY!!!

7. Kubla Cant

Toxic

I know the world supply of TLAs is rapidly becoming exhausted, so we have to recycle old ones. But "CDO" hasn't really had time to shed its toxic associations. The first Google page of results is almost entirely about Collateralized Debt Obligations and how they landed us all in Carey Street,

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back in the day...

I remember when IT usually came under the Finance Director. No such thing as a seperate IT Department with its own Director.

1. Stevie

Re: Back in the day...

Heh. My first DPM (Data Processing Manager) was a cost clerk promoted sideways by his peers as a scheme to get rid of him. Computers, you see, were going to be " a passing fad".

The guy could have been the model for Dilbert's Pointy Haired Boss. The early drawings even looked like him.

2. Mark 85

Where I worked back then, IT for admins, sales, etc. came under HR. The computers used in Engineering came under the Engineering Manager. The mainframe people (real IT back then) came under Finance and they wouldn't touch a PC to save their lives. It was a real clustertruck when the company decided to network all the PC's, etc.

1. The Islander

Re: Back in the day... @ Mark 85

I would respectfully submit Mainframe people - SysProgs - are just as much in real IT today.

Might be fewer in number of course

3. Halfmad

Still rare to see them in public sectors, head of IT.. usually but at director level? Usually lumped in with something else and increasing the IT department is leading on all projects which is probably why projects go titsup so often as they have no executive level representation.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"CIOs not being taken seriously"

They may have a point. I have reported to many CIOs and I didn't take most of them seriously either, and that was before they started talking about DevOps.

Posted anonymously to avoid hard to answer questions.

10. RichardB

Cx0

So, you mention CFO, CEO, CIO and CDO.

Where does the CTO fit into it all?

11. Hurn

Better Definitions Needed

<still confused a bit>

So, the CIO is in charge of the people in charge of the hardware, while the CDO is in charge of the people in charge of the data?

In other words, CIO = Medium, while CDO = Message.

And both are encouraged to be Propaganda Ministers, Judas Goats, and/or headsman's ax catcher as required by the business model du jour.

12. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Facepalm

CWTFO?

"..... data governance, decision-making and the creation of business value...." Just relabel the CTO as CDO and have done with it?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who didn't see this coming?

I got out of "IT" 15 years ago and went into data: People get enough of everything except relevant information.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CIO - Mistitled for years

I have never met a CIO that actually did the 'Information' part. More aptly described as CTOs. Often very interested in technology for technology's sake. Sometimes the technology even coincides with what the organisation wants to do...sometimes not.

If you want someone to help you out with this vast resource of information that you have, what are you going to do?...you can't rename the CIO position to err... CIO.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like