back to article Oracle traps its cloud inside own tin boxes

Oracle is throwing one stone at two birds troubling its business: cloud and falling server sales. That stone: cloud in a box. The database giant has announced Oracle Cloud at Customer, a package of its publicly available, but relatively unwanted cloud software - in its reciprocally related servers. The stone has a name: …

1. Nate Amsden

what is

Intel x5 ??

1. tom dial Silver badge

Re: what is

Atom on steroids?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/atom/atom-x5-x7-consumer-brief.html

2. HCV

Re: what is

Presumably they mean these boxes are built from Oracle's X5 systems, which in turn use Intel E5-2600 processors.

2. Sureo

They know that cloud is just a lot of nebulous vapor, don't they?

3. Me19713

Hot air and Water

Larry has plenty of hot air, all they need is a little water...

4. SecretSonOfHG

Is that another licensing nightmare?

See, we already have on-premise Oracle and cloud Oracle, each one with different terms and pricing. Are they introducing yet another piece in the already almost incomprehensible puzzle?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is that another licensing nightmare?

I'm sure... that seems to be half the point of Oracle's hardware appliances. To find a way to change up the licensing terms enough to squeeze a few more licenses out of people who are fully licensed up.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is that another licensing nightmare?

No. Sorry you cant handle two ways of charging for something, nor understand that cloud will inevitably be priced differently to On Prem, because its different, but just to help you out I'm sure, they arent introducing a third way, it remains the two options, On Prem or Cloud.

So PaaS is licensed on the box exactly the same as in the cloud.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FOAD, Oracle

That is all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle is, of course, trailing Microsoft – whose Azure cloud is already offered in tin boxes from Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Dell.

======

Not as I understand it.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2016/01/azure-stack-microsofts-on-premises-cloud-service-is-now-available-as-a-preview/

", the Azure Stack offers only a subset of Azure services... Its full release is planned for the fourth quarter, but even this will not have parity with the full Azure service. ......

As such, there will be plenty of things missing, such as >>>SQL databases <<< ... (my emphasis)

Not exactly cloud in a box then. AIUI the Oracle offering runs everything including database.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like