back to article Tech's big dogs snarl at UK.gov over Snoopers' Charter

The biggest internet businesses in the free world have written to the British government to politely urge that its Investigatory Powers Bill is improved. Written evidence submitted to the committee looking over the Investigatory Powers Bill, from Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter, and Yahoo!, has been published today …

1. 2460 Something

Follow the Money

The only reason any of these companies are complaining will be down to monetary issues. Not one of them actually care about the privacy of their users. Or all of their systems would be end-to-end encrypted and 'sorry we cannot break it' approach.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

"where a service is encrypted end-to-end,"

"the Bill should recognise it will not be reasonably practicable to provide decrypted content"

Good luck with that. I think the response you will get back will essentially be that the British government is not going to tell companies that they can't offer end-to-end encrypted products and services, while actually forcing those companies subvert any end-to-end encryption they offer.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Utter hypocrisy

So Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter, and Yahoo!, ALL of whom collect vast volumes of data about us AND subject it to their own analyses, for their own commercial purposes, entirely unfettered by ANY governance or oversight, appear to think that they hold the moral high ground??

1. Mark 85

Re: Utter hypocrisy

Right. I daresay they are getting bolder in this and not just with the UK but also at home. With Apple and MS pushing back on the government, other companies are jumping on the bandwagon and while they preach "the high ground"... it won't be in reality.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

... and yet all Theresa May will hear is a faint buzzing.

5. Graham Marsden
    Alert

"The Bill restates the government’s position...

"...and unilaterally asserts UK jurisdiction overseas"

Ah, I see they're learning from the Yanks...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a warrant can only be served on a person who is capable of providing the assistance required by the warrant, and that the duty to comply with the warrant can only be enforced against a person who is capable of complying with it.

My babel fish translator is a little rusty on politician speak but I take it that means,

It's up to us who we prosecute based on political donations and influence.

or

I'm not sure what I am saying, words are forming but my civil servants haven't been able to explain exactly what they mean.

Theresa May - Setting women back hundreds of years by being a tool.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"unilateral assertions of extraterritorial jurisdiction"

Because only the US can do that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russian and China will follow regardless

It makes no difference now if the UK limits itself to only its jurisdiction, the mere fact she's proposed seizing the worlds data from UK companies (and GCHQ has been caught doing it) will have two effects:

1) UK companies or companies with major UK bases won't be used abroad. It's a sovereignty issue, if you permit UK jurisdiction over your country, then you've surrendered the democracy to the UK. If you let your private data be grabbed by UK, then you have no private data regardless of your domestic laws.

2) Russia, China, every country on the planet will assert the same rights to UK data. She's provided legal cover for this. You can't even criticize them because Theresa's proposed the EXACT SAME thing. When they start grabbing bulk UK data from Google's and Yahoo and Microsoft and Vodafone, and Rackspace and every other company with a big UK base full of big UK secret data. What then?

We need 100% encryption NOW, URGENTLY.

We cannot protect MPs private data, government private data, or Parliamentary emails (WHY the f*** did you put Parliaments email into MS cloud?!!) from foreign surveillance by enemies and rivals and even nosey allies. We cannot protect trade secrets, business plans, journalistic exposes, none of it because of May and her ass covering, mass surveillance law.

9. Warm Braw

We do not believe...

... the government intends to legitimize this heavy-handed practice

I'm hoping that's just faux naif, because you'd expect "tech's big dogs" to be persuaded by the evidence...

10. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Is Yahoo! really one of the "big dogs"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like