back to article Thin client market gets even thinner, down seven per cent in a year

Thin client sales have dipped 6.9 per cent in a year, to just 5.08 million, according to the abacus-shufflers at analyst firm IDC, which says 5.454m devices shipped in 2014. The firm thinks the dip is attributable to economic factors, rather than a loss of interest in thin clients or desktop virtualisation (VDI). Lower public …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Market saturation? At some point, everyone who uses thin clients for desktop virtualisation will have more or less all the thin clients they need. And if the main use is office-like applications there is no need to replace the hardware every two years or so.

1. big_D Silver badge

My thoughts exactly. Ours are around 10 years old and still going strong...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, standard software industry issue.

2. Shugyosha

ChromeOS eating into the market?

XenApp \ Desktop has been my been my bread and butter for 18ish years now and so I've spent a fair bit of time with thin clients over the years. These days however I would deploy a ChromeBox or ChromeBook before one of the traditional toasters and I know of a number of big rollouts that have done the same. I expect that might have something to do with the decline.

1. dajames

Re: ChromeOS eating into the market?

These days however I would deploy a ChromeBox or ChromeBook before one of the traditional toasters ...

Well, quite. I'd have thought the sales figures for "thin clients" should include the figures for ChromeOS devices along with all the others, but these apparently don't.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thin and expensive

And maybe, just maybe, users have finally caught on to the fact that thin clients from traditional thin client vendors are horribly overpriced, underpowered pieces of junk compared to something like a Brix or NUC loaded with Windows Thin PC or Stratodesk.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon