back to article BlackBerry's still losing millions – but hit its revenue target, finally

BlackBerry has hit its target of earning half a billion dollars in software and services revenue over a full fiscal year, thanks to the acquisition of long time rival Good Technology as well as BB's patent revenue. The Canadian firm still has some way to go to being profitable, though, and the old phone business doesn’t seem …

1. 404
    Black Helicopters

Why all the carrier hate?

Verizon is trying to sell the Blackberry Priv for $299 *plus* a two year contract. Few years ago I bought the Samsung Note 3 in a buy one get one free scenario just after the 3's were introduced (and before the Ellen Degenerous did the selfie thing). There's been no advertising and even though I had a BB Priv arrival notification in with my local 'Verizon Business Representative', not a word has been said by this Verizon busybody about it, yet calls up every other week trying to dump last year's POS tablet flavor of the month on me. I know the BB Priv is in stock, yet Verizon has decided to be dicks about it for some reason.

Fuck. I don't like companies like Verizon, AT&T, Facebook, Google, etc becoming all-powerful, where just a word or policy can make or break another company. Between the governments and the corps... us line animals are fucked.

2. Jim84

BBOS 10 Android Skin

I really wish Blackberry would skin android so that the interface works exactly like that of BBOS 10, but can run android apps from the play store.

Are they just not doing this as a design or cost choice? Or would they need to fork android to achieve this?

Does their hub on Android work as well as the hub on BB OS 10?

1. Jess

Re: but can run android apps from the play store.

Lots of apps work on my Q5 from the play store. Some fail due to the square screen. And some complain about lack of google services, then appear to work.

3. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

No surprise

I see they have finally announced Marshmallow for the Priv, on the very last day they could do so according to their schedule. That's a genuine surprise; I expected more excuses.

No shock about the old phone business being no help. I thought long and hard before deciding not to buy a passport, but as BB clearly did not care enough to update various bundled apps, the Android runtime, or fix their market place, why should I bother?

4. Halfmad

I had a Blackberry back in the early 00s

First time I've been tempted to get another is the Priv.. I miss having a physical keyboard!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon