back to article Furious customers tear into 123-reg after firm's mass deletion woes

The fall-out continues from hosting service 123-reg's major weekend cockup, which knocked several customers offline – with several telling us the error has effectively deleted their businesses. As already revealed, on Saturday customers' virtual servers vanished after the hosting firm ran a script containing a catastrophic …

Page:

1. wolfetone Silver badge
    WTF?

Someone has lost their website, you don't have the 50GB back up file to restore their website, but it's alright because you've fixed the cron job so that deleting servers doesn't happen again? And that last bit is meant to restore faith in your company?

OH YOU'RE DIDO HARDING IN DISGUISE!

OH YES YOU ARE!

HARDING IN DISGUISE!

YOU UTTER CLOWN!*

*To be sung along to the tune of "Devil in Disguise", by Mr.Elvis Presley.

1. Havin_it
      Childcatcher

For some reason I thought of Stewart Lee's delivery on reading that, not the redoubtable Mr. Presley.

[Icon: Thought I'd strayed onto the Grauniad by mistake]

1. Captain DaFt

"For some reason I thought of Stewart Lee's delivery on reading that, not the redoubtable Mr. Presley."

I read it with John Cleese's voice as Basil Fawlty. Much more hilarious.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not at all comparable to the TT incident which was pretty trivial. Rather more serious than employee hacking allowing access to the same level of bank detail that is available when people pay mail order by cheque, which is all that the TT issue amounted to..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bailed on these jokers 7+ years ago, when they had a massive DNS outage (You had ONE job!).

Since then, many reasonably priced and technically competent registrars have entered the market. And they have decent control panels not designed by the CEOs nephew.

1. HmmmYes

Did he use MS Access?

All CEOs nephews use MS Access!

1. Triggerfish

Frontpage.

3. Stoneshop
    Devil

"Hosting biz still working on fix for outrageous outage"

"Hosing biz" would be rather more apt.

1. Darren Sandford

Re: "Hosting biz still working on fix for outrageous outage"

Hosting blitz?

1. Paul

Re: "Hosting biz still working on fix for outrageous outage"

Hosing Blitz?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Stoneshop
      Holmes

Re: Takes courage

To run rm -rf with parameters in a script.

First, you test for the parameters to have valid values

if [[ -z "$1" || -z "$2" ]]

then

echo "Variables not set"

else

echo "rm -rfi $1/$2"

fi

as well as turning whatever command you're trying into an echo statement. Similarly, you test for reasonable values retrieved from the database.

Then, you run this on a sacrificial environment.

Then, you run this on a sacrificial environment, capturing the output. You inspect this to contain the commands you expect.

Then, you run the captured output as a script. After you've verified that it does what you intended for the first couple of lines, you ctrl-c the script, remove the '-i' and re-run it.

Then, you verify the restorability of your backups.

Then, you verify the restorability of your backups again.

Only then you run the script on your live environment.

1. pdh

You can't really trust those test -z's... if $1 and $2 are space characters, or slashes, or periods, (and I bet there are more), you still lose. And you probably can't afford to perform that careful testing procedure for every new set of $1 and $2 values.

Writing "rm -rf $variable" does require a certain hubris.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
          Stop

I'm a software developer and speaking frankly when I have to code a deletion against any persistent storage it always give me the heebie jeebies. I'd always far, far rather have an 'I Am Active' flag that I can just clear.

I've been coding for thirty years and spent fifteen of those as a data recovery engineer and writing DR software. These things are what experience is made of.

2. Stoneshop

And you probably can't afford to perform that careful testing procedure for every new set of $1 and $2 values.

That's why you write the resulting commands into a file, which you inspect before running it. I also mentioned checking the results from the database for sane values

And if you can't afford testing potentially disastrous stuff like this, you shouldn't be sitting at a keyboard from which you can issue such commands.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"That's why you write the resulting commands into a file, which you inspect before running it. I also mentioned checking the results from the database for sane values"

And take the path variable that you've constructed and feed it to ls, just to see if what you expect happens.

3. Anonymous C0ward

In my Linux tinkering I see a lot of tests like that stick a letter x in front of the variable, so the comparison is never looking at a blank.

1. Paul

I've seen that. Such bash horrors are written by people who don't understand how to use single and double quotes properly.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Those -z's actually work fine if you have quoted the variables (as the OP did). It breaks if you forget the quotes though - which lots of people do. It makes me cringe every time I see this.

Shell scripts are a rubbish environment for writing any sort of robust task. You can get slightly saner behaviour with:

#!/bin/sh -ue

Then:

* Your script will abort if you try to use an unset variable in an expansion

* Your script will abort if one of the commands it runs gives a non-zero return code which you don't test for

But at the end of the day, you would be *far* better to use a real programming language.

1. fnj

Watch out, using sh -e or set -e is usually crap. It is not that unusual to execute commands in the shell which are expected to return non zero in the ordinary course of events; e.g.:

#!/bin/sh

set -e

x=`expr 0 \* 1`

echo "$x"

The echo command is never executed, but there is no diagnostic. That'll give you a bad day debugging. It's the same behavior in POSIX sh and bash.

You're right about sh -u or set -u, though. It's a lot easier than testing every use of a variable with [ -z "$var" ], and does give you a built-in diagnostic when it aborts. As others noted, neither one is a complete protection, of course.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

$1 and $2 referring to how much people paid for the service, I presume ? Let's face it - 123 is hardly a 'premium' establishment and and company big or small not backing up their own files (Whether entrusted to 123, MS, AWS or a cowboy down the road) is not doing it right.

1. Danny 14

Plus, why the fuck should a db/vm monitoring script NEED to live delete? Surely it would be better to at least FLAG these to a human? Afterall, it seemed the script had the power to do some major deletions.

Idiots.

3. raving angry loony

-z with double-quotes around the variable? What happens if the variable is "space" or "tab"? Ah, right, same level of fuckup.

Get a new job son, you're terrible at this one.

1. Stoneshop
          FAIL

Get a new job son, you're terrible at this one.

Did I say it was the only test? Did I say that the test passing would unconditionally execute rm -rf $whatever immediately?

Better get a new reading comprehension module son, it's broken.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Holmes

Code this shit explicitly.

Using a programming language.

Any programming language.

Not murderhack "how is this interpreted NOW?" bash.

1. fnj

@Destroy All Monsters:

Code this shit explicitly.

Using a programming language.

Not murderhack "how is this interpreted NOW?" bash.

Oh come now. This class of error has absolutely zero to do with using bash specifically, or even using a shell based on POSIX sh. It has everything to do with the hazards of constructing arguments dynamically, no matter what the language. MySQL, python, C, go, or anything else: they all entail the same hazard.

2. Stoneshop
              Coat

APL? Brainfuck? Forth? Mumps?

5. XSV1

M-Web

M-Web Business in South Africa had a similar cockup with their VMWare servers last year. They lost EVERYTHING on the affected servers.They couldn't even roll back because the backups were deleted as well.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: M-Web

"They couldn't even roll back because the backups were deleted as well."

It sounds as if they didn't have backups, just online copies. A backup is on removable media. In a firesafe. In a different building. On a different site.

1. Danny 14

And then the backups are archived to another set (because im paranoid)

2. Stoneshop

A backup is on removable media. In a firesafe. In a different building. On a different site.

And has multiple generations.

2. FuzzyWuzzys
      Facepalm

As a wise man once said, "It's not a backup until it's restored.".

Test, test, test and test again!

3. Adam 1

I'm not sure that backups on their own would save the day here. It's one thing to have the said offline tapes. It's quite another thing to be able to restore many hundreds of TB in anything approaching "reasonable time".

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I thought that users of ISPs for website hosting had responsibility for their own backups.

I know if mine were wiped now I could restore it from my own backups (less the updates by users that have happened since 4AM) in the time it takes to push up the wire.

1. XSV1

"Normally" users are only responsible for backups of their data, not for the image of their environment.

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

He he he he, I can remember the outcry on http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/ when that happened!

Was not pretty!

Wonder how many clients jumped ship right there and then.

6. joshimitsu

Maybe it's a hoax

On a much larger scale than what this guy did:

http://meta.serverfault.com/questions/8696/what-to-do-with-the-rm-rf-hoax-question

Original post where he pretends to delete everything:

http://serverfault.com/questions/587102/monday-morning-mistake-sudo-rm-rf-no-preserve-root

Is 123-reg a "you gets what you pays for" company? (i.e. rock-bottom)

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Maybe it's a hoax

Truth is stranger than stackoverflow.

(Synchronicity on the Internet? Sysops everywhere, beware!)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe it's a hoax

Have you thought that that post may not have been a hoax and the guy who posted it was the guy who had made this cock-up???

7. h4rm0ny
    WTF?

I can't believe this.

I accept that the company has actually issued these statements and I accept that El Reg is reporting it. But I honestly find it no easier to believe than if I saw a cow begin to levitate in front of me.

A company could just not be this incompetent. It just doesn't compute in my brain.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can't believe this.

A company could just not be this incompetent. It just doesn't compute in my brain.

Oh it does compute in my brain. But maybe that's because I believe that dark energy and stupidity are one and the same. The very force that appears least organised and most chaotic, most elusive is yet the most prevalent in the universe, and the very thing that holds it altogether. I think a small white cartoon dog beat me to this important theorem, though:

http://dilbert.com/strip/1996-07-21

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can't believe this.

"A company could just not be this incompetent. It just doesn't compute in my brain."

*sigh* Quoting somebody earlier in the thread:-

I've been coding for thirty years and spent fifteen of those as a data recovery engineer and writing DR software. These things are what experience is made of.

In other enviroments with highly destructive managers however, "You know, these old guys cost us three times more than these new guys we pay the minimum wage to, and they keep arguing that things I tell my staff to do are irresponsibly dangerous and demand that we do things slowly because they say it's "safer". Let's make them all 'redundant' and get a bunch of kids to do the job, they can google anything they don't know these days and their far faster."

12 Months later. What, you mean that you accidentially deleted all of the servers?!?!! Wasn't somebody supervising... Ah. Well, never mind just do a press release blaming a DDOS/hackers/global warning and and recover the backups. What, you mean we that the backups were in the cloud and deleted with the live enviroment!?! Shit. Well, how do we recover from this? You don't know? Then what do we do?!

8. batfastad

123-reg

I put these bozos in the same bracket as Farthosts. I have migrated many customers from both providers over the years. Not so much for reasons of reliability (although both have been shaky at times) but the customer service was always dreadful and lack of many technical features.

I definitely understand choosing cheap providers because of cost - if you won't die over a day or so of downtime then thats a perfectly valid decision to make. But if downtime is going to cost your business serious money, it's probably better to not be using budget mass-market web hosts where you are one account of 10,000 and instead have a managed service, or better still run from multiple providers. Compare the loss due to downtime vs the cost of improving availability.

One thing I would say is separate out your DNS hosting, domain registration and web hosting. Easier to juggle things around in times of brownout. And if the data is important to you, sort your own backups.

1. Danny 14

Re: 123-reg

Host your own stuff. At least you know it is backed up.

2. cycas

Re: 123-reg

Do you have a recommendation for DNS hosting? I don't host with 123reg but I do have domains with them. I've have moved them before this if everything else I try didn't seem to be worse.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And that, ladies and gentlemen ..

.. is what happens when you go for the lowest bidder.

Exactly that. Ditto for "free", by the way, because that just suggests you're paying with something you have far less control over. If you pay with money you can at least stop payments.

Having said that, most small business don't even know what sort of risk they are running when they use services like this. The ones that survive this will have learned a valuable (sorry about the pun) lesson.

10. Anonymous Blowhard

" it has 3.5 million domain names, and over 1.7 million websites"**

(** before running the script, now it's 3.1 million domain names, and nearly 1.2 million websites)

1. Danny 14

Down to 600k now, the script was running single threaded.

11. cd / && rm -rf *
    Facepalm

Too little, too late.

A new platform will be available by the end of the year for customers which we will provide self-managed and automated snapshot backups

Horse, meet stable door. Stable door, meet horse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too little, too late.

Sorry, the horse has just popped out to show the cow how to levitate.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like