back to article EU: We're splashing out €6.7bn on a giant scientific cloud

The EU is launching a €6.7bn (£5.3bn) mega “science cloud”, intended to better exploit the continent's academic research via big data. According to a press release from the European Commission, the EU is the "largest producer of scientific data in the world, but insufficient and fragmented infrastructure means this 'big data' …

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

This could be very useful. I collaborate with many fellow researchers, mainly in the EU, on various projects increasingly involving massive data sets. A platform that would allow more efficient sharing and processing of data could certainly help in many such projects. We will see how this pans out

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a novel idea. Someone should tell Google, Microsoft and Amazon to do something similar, or they'll be left behind, eating dust.

</sarcasm>

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Certainly not novel, there are similar efforts in the US (also amongst scientists). It's just that we do not necessarily want to have our scientific data on US-owned clouds. Commercial clouds are geared to particular classes of (business) problems, which are very suitable for distributed computing (often embarrassingly parallel). Scientists often have different requirements for which commercial clouds are not that suitable (I have a couple), so scientists may come up with different technical solutions. These solutions may well be of use to industry. My data? Less so, I would say

2. TRT Silver badge

"It will then be expanded to the public sector and to industry."

Yeah, right. I'd like to see that happen. Patient data is one thing when it comes to security - anything else Big Pharma has, like potential drug structures, they want wrapped up and buried twice as deep at least.

In principle, not a bad idea. In practice... we'll have to see.

3. Rich 11

Brexiters, rejoice!

Here's another thing you'll want us to pay up to join after we leave the EU. All that money you say we'll be saving which could be spent on the NHS or on education or on the deficit will instead be sliced up to pay through the nose for access to things like this which will give us a chance of keeping up with France and Germany. Although you could say it will instead go on a uk.gov project to establish a data grid of our own, and then some bright spark will suggest halfway through development that perhaps it should be able to talk to the EU system -- yeah, I can see how well that might turn out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brexiters, rejoice!

Just who do you think would be paying for this if the UK remained in the EU especially since the UK is the third largest contributor to the EU budget?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well presumably we pay in both scenarios. We stay in we pay, we go out we pay. Apparently, pace Goris and Bove, we would still get all the access to EU research funds we had before, which won't happen unless we still pay in, as before, to initiatives like 2020. But in the 'out' case we will be like Switzerland - an associated 'third country' - eligible to bid, but not on the steering committees that prioritise and divvy things up.

2. Rich 11

Just who do you think would be paying for this if the UK remained in the EU especially since the UK is the third largest contributor to the EU budget?

Why do you think I said 'pay through the nose'? It's hardly going to turn out cheaper, is it?

4. James 51

What about translating between languages? I know most of the work will be in English by default but technical papers are probably too complex for auto-translation.

1. TRT Silver badge

So long as they use units, it'll be fine. None of this lbs thrust vs kg thrust business.

5. Dr Stephen Jones

What could possibly go wrong?

Mature commodity cloud services are available in the shape of Azure, AWS and Google. Given the EU's reputation for efficiency and value-for-money, how do you think this will compete?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: What could possibly go wrong?

You can see little bits of grant money spent on paying for commercial hosting services, or one big thump of money on something people might actually use. Of course data structures are so massively varied that there can be no standardisation of even meta-data storage and indexing, so I expect it will end up as just a simple file store. We had a collaborative system that scoured meta-data and stored it in a searchable index. You could search by, for example, instrument manufacturer, objective, fluorescence filter & magnification for microscopes, column type for chromatography, run-time, voltage & current for blots etc, reagents, antibodies (provided someone entered those data) - loads of stuff. Did it ever get used? No. Just got used as one big file store, and now it's gathering dust at the top of a server rack.

6. Alfie Noakes

Bribes?

I wonder how many more of these "very generous schemes" (already greatly funded by the money we pay into the EU) will suddenly appear over the next two months?

I guess that timing is everything :(

1. anothercynic Silver badge

Re: Bribes?

The project has been around for around a year and they've been working on it in the background. So it's not a 'sudden appearance'. It's just that there was no output from the project until now.

Those of us in the science business have been aware of it since the start.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon