back to article EMC results: It'll all come out in the post-Dell deal wash

EMC saw many pockets of growth in its first fiscal 2016 quarter’s results but overall revenues declined because core legacy product revenues fell, as did RSA and the enterprise content business. These declines more than offset the impressive growth rates of newer products. In the EMC earnings call, CEO and chairman Joe Tucci …

1. RollTide14

Time will tell

I know that EMC has the ability to constantly pivot and use their salesforce to push new product, but I think they made a BIG mistake with how hard they pushed Xtremio. I can't see why you would develop VMAX to an all flash platform if you thought Xtremio was capable.....just makes NO sense to me.

Me thinks that the way that drive capacities expanded way more quickly than anyone had anticipated and the Xtremio architecture (Gen4!!!!) can't handle it.

Disclaimer: VAR who carries multiple storage vendors (including EMC) but sells majority NetApp

1. Stephen McLaughlin

Re: Time will tell

I think the VMAX-3 All Flash Array was just in response to their competitors, namely the All Flash Hitachi G-1000. They realize the big iron is going away, but all too happy keeping it going as long as they can, squeezing out every last drop. Good move on their part with success of Xtremeio, but that market is getting more crowded by the day.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Time will tell

Stephen,

There is no official array as an HDS all-flash G1000. It's a hybrid that in some cases is sold with only flash drives. EMC has been doing the same thing with VMAX3 so that's nothing new, but EMC now has a separate skew for an all-flash version with different packaging.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This comment consistently baffles me: "“According to IDC, in Q4 2015, XtremIO had over 40 per cent market share and was almost three times the size of its closest competitor.”

I work for a competitor of EMC / IBM, and I have never once come across a customer with an IBM Flashsystem. They must sell an awful lot in their diminishing but strangely loyal installed base. And as for XtremIO, yeah we see them. but rarely lose to them and certainly not often enough to suggest they really do have 40% market share. It feels like there must be some craft accounting going on somewhere!

1. klaxhu

Where do I start? the fact that you repeat that XtremIO has 40$ and then in the next line you say you have never come across a customer with IBM Flashsystem says it all. Its hard to keep up, right?

EMC install base was, is and will stay big because they do a number of things right. You must be really blind if you can't see this.

Disclaimer: I don't work for EMC.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The first part of your post doesn't make a huge amount of sense! I come across XtremIO but not enough, and certainly don't lose enough, to give the indication that they do have 40% market share. They do work their installed base well though so no doubt they are selling a few but it doesn't feel like they are the dominant player. And yeah, in years selling storage, including a lot of flash in the last few years, I have never come across a Flashsystem. If I did, I'd have no idea how to compete with it as I've never needed to find out. I used to work for IBM so I know plenty of their customers but no idea where they are selling their Flashsystems as I never see them. I can draw you a picture if you'd find that easier to understand.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like