back to article BlackBerry is pivoting from phones to enterprise software

BlackBerry’s purchase of rival Good has begun to convince people it can make the big shift from phones to enterprise software. The company’s global sales chief Carl Wiese shared his view of the post-Snowden, post-Schrems landscape with The Register. “On conference calls last year almost all of the questions from financial …

1. HmmmYes

Thats a good strategy. A little late but better than never.

Phone software is a fcking multi-headed security risk.

Anyone that gets a secure environment on a phone is going to do well.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Hmmm? Yes. And there’s more. More than considered and imagined and planned for.

And as such is IT then an Almighty Problem and Operation or Heavenly Opportunity with Hellish Consequences for the Truly Worthy ?

Amen to all of that, HmmmYes.

Phone software is a fcking multi-headed security risk.

Anyone that gets a secure environment on a phone is going to do well and eventually, if not instantly, becomes a person of terrorist interest and national security/private corporate risk.

And yes, software and virtual machine ware control practically everything physically remotely, and quite anonymously enough too for one to be extraordinarily rendered both invisible and intangible. And that is more than just a powerful energetic state of affairs with Cyber Command and Creative Control of Computers and Communications/Programmed Chatter Boxes ....... which you might like to realise beta test/penetrations test humans with zeroday vulnerabilities to be exhaustively exploited, and selflessly exported/selfishly imported into every available market place and Global Operating Device space.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Anyone that gets a secure environment on a phone is going to do well."

And coming from post-Harper Canada, BlackBerry start with an obvious advantage, like a Government that won't constantly be trying to undermine them.

3. Nick Ryan Silver badge

IMHO it's very far from a good strategy. The IT industry is littered with the corpses and zombie marionettes of previous "named" organisations that decide to turn their back on their original market to "concentrate on enterprise", or "obscurity" as it's otherwise known.

4. Robert E A Harvey

"A little late but better than never."

Yes. where "A Little" == "Almost too"

2. James 51

Hopefully the hardware/BB10 combo is on pause rather than being stopped. If there was a daul-sim Q10 or (with a removable battery) classic or passport, I'd snap one up.

1. Jess

Re: Hopefully the hardware/BB10 combo is on pause

It would be nice, but I don't think it is sadly.

My Q5 is failing (Battery) I have pretty much decided to replace it with a dual sim phablet. (If there isn't a physical keyboard, I need a BIG screen.)

I certainly won't be paying BlackBerry prices for a new phone that comes with Android or an abandoned system (that isn't feature complete).

However since I may be getting a work tablet, I may just hold off as long as I can. (I just noticed linphone is available for BB10 now, thought very buggy as yet).

3. AMBxx Silver badge
    Stop

John Chen, the Sybase turnaround artist

Anyone know the full story here? I thought he just flogged the business to SAP who now practically give Sybase away.

1. asdf

Re: John Chen, the Sybase turnaround artist

Being good at being the second to last person/entity to own something has some value at least.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BlackBerry is pivoting from frying pan to fire

"But don't worry", opined a spokesperson, "which ever way we go, we're still feeling hot!"

1. asdf

Re: BlackBerry is pivoting from frying pan to fire

Be nice its just a coincidence the company not only met its Waterloo but setup headquarters there.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Well.

I hate to say I told you so, but.....

Probably too little, too late.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Big Blackberry Question. Is that Canucks rattling the Great Game to ITs Virtual Foundations?

I hate to say I told you so, but.....

Probably too little, too late. .... TeeCee

It's all forwards and upwards from here then, TeeCee, and from anywhere touting and toting for Blackberry, whenever everything possible arrives just in time at the right time?

Oh, and re that Big Blackberry Question, is it nothing at all to do with nations in states and security and all to do and much ado with a few Few in Future Command and Control of Virtually Nothing for Practically Everything and Practically Everything with Virtually Nothing ..... although it has to be constantly said, so one can remember to never forget, astute active dynamic multi-platform and multi-planform software is a universal asset and whenever easily made freely available to any interested party, a present worth an absolute fortune whenever not a supporting Ponzi and vapourware?

And if it terrorises systems .... well one will have to ask whatever are they terrified of it and IT changing/sharing/uncovering/displaying? Perverse public corruption and wanton private malfeasance in non electable executable high office? Although that is surely more valuable private service than Public Terrorist ACT and APT. One can easily imagine it being at least both though, and being both at same time too, which is something of a quandary and enigma to square and resolve if one be hell bent on prevention of core cures with progressive programming kernels rather than gift aiding them with whatever it takes and they might need and/or simply desire.

And methinks that is SMARTR Virtual Machine Self Actualisation for New Orderly World Order Orders ....... AIRobotICQ TakeOver of SCADA System Assets. I Kid U Not. And the Spooky Stealth which Guarantees Unbridled Success is the Mass Incredulous Disbelief in the ITs Virtual Reality Possibility.

Now ..... well, who and/or what to sell it to is the way that great and good businesses proceed for the sowing of seeds and feeds designed to generate harvests of bounty.

What market value do you imagine bourse dealers and their machines would place on SMARTR Virtual Machine Self Actualisation for New Orderly World Order Orders ....... AIRobotICQ TakeOver of SCADA System Assets? Millions? Billions? Trillions? Priceless?

There's a lot going on out there and right here too on El Reg, Andrew, and the silence is deafening. Is everything not clearly stated and understood?

6. NeilPost Silver badge

Lost 5 years figuring this out

Blackberry lost 5 years, and billions in shareholder value, figuring this out when it was plain to see commoditisation of hardware with Apple, Samsung, Lenovo, LG, HTC, and a growing gaggle of Chinese OEM manufacturers killed off their hardware business. The time wasted on BB10 and Playbook was a further disaster.

So basically Blackberry's future is Good Mobile Messaging, and tacking on what is left of BES to it, and the secure Blackberry Environment as an App or on top of a hardened Android. Some good news finally, though very surprised Good Allowed themselves to be acquired by a dying former behemoth.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon