back to article EE grows network by one-third, promises to build 750 new sites

EE has is expanding its 4G network by one-third to cover 95 per cent of the UK by 2020 – following its mega contract with the Home Office to provide emergency services coverage across the country. Under the plan the operator is building 750 new sites across the country in a bid to eradicate "notspots". It is the first major …

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Just as I move to Plusnet

EE's network is shite. So I've decided to move to Plusnet.

Hang on, isn't that going from BT to BT? But at least my broadband charges will be less (for 12 months). I only need to change the username/password on my router and I'm back in business.

Please don't tell me Plusnet's network is also shite. But even if it is, it is cheaper!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EEJITS

Anything that has the BT name tag on it is shite....Plusnet included, check out Plusnet's own user forums FTTC page!

As a user of the current Airwave system, there are hotspots all over the place.....so don't expect anything better from EE - The corporate lunatics took 2 good networks, stuck them together then turned off loads of cell sites and called it "optimisation" EE's coverage is now spread so thinly that achieving a 2G signal inside a building is a feat in itself, let alone 3G or 4G. Now it looks like they will have to reactivate many of the ones they switched off!

God only knows how EE managed to persuade the Government that their network can provide a reliable service for Emergency Service radio/data communications.........EEJITS!!

Anonymous for hopefully obvious reasons....

1. Uncle Timbo

Re: EEJITS

69/44Mbit.sec here.

But there are a LOT of blackspots on my train journey upto Town. The point being, in the Kent/East Sussex area, you can do a lot worse than EE. In fact everyone else IS worse IME.

Every couple of years at contract renewal time, I get a couple of SIMs on PAYG to try. I've been O2 to 3 to EE. Last time, I stuck with EE because 3 had turned into a huge bunch of muppets and O2 + Vodaphone have naff all coverage where I need it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor technical decisions....

Anon due to my industry contacts... Airwave emergency radio was frequency was down low, in the 400MHz I believe, now they are hopping up to at least 800, possible 1.2ghz. The company I was consulting with pulled out of the bidding process as soon as the pie in the sky requirements started coming in. I'd rather have our cops having 99% voice cover than 50% "but they can stream live video from the helicopters!" Uuuuggghhhh, it's not going to be pretty...

1. paulf
      Alert

Re: Poor technical decisions....

I've seen this point echoed elsewhere. Retain Airwave for the superior voice coverage and things cellular can't do like PTT and back to back operation, then if you really want to stream video from a helicopter tack on a 4G radio which is enabled when required for data. That way when the cellular network falls on its arse during a major incident Cops and co can still speak to each other albeit without the fancy stuff like video.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Poor technical decisions....

There was the option of a TETRA + 4G device for exactly those reasons. The only problem being it was made by a certain Chinese corporation and therefore dumped for security reasons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like