back to article Fancy £200m? Tell HMRC you'll help them sort their IT out

HMRC has put £200m up for grabs by one lucky desktop services supplier as the government body attempts a major – and potentially risky – overhaul of its IT. The taxman is looking for end user devices, application performance monitoring and virtual desktop services. The contract will include overseeing mobile devices, such as …

1. Roq D. Kasba

Risky?

With what they save from big boy consultant billing they can have three competing SME's on the job. And, I presume, a higher percentage staying onshore.

1. 's water music

Re: Risky?

The risk is to the bearings of the private/public sector career revolving doors. They wont grease themselves you know.

2. GeezaGaz

> However, MPs have warned that represents a high risk move.

Risky? Or perhaps smaller firms won't be handing out brown envelopes to said politicians....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As with the NHS upgrade for 6 billion, I have mixed feelings.

1. This will be a huge waste of cash and no-one will get told off when it doesn't work.

2. Yay, dust off that CV, its party time! (And I wont get told off when it doesn't work).

A trough appears very different if you get to munch from it...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

I thought...

They were encouraging SMEs for government IT projects now or was that just a soundbite for whatever was the issue at the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I thought...

SMEs are SMEs as they give value for money. A typical SME would be hard-pushed to burn through 200million. That's why you need the likes of F****** or A******** or C** to do a proper job!

5. Disgruntled of TW
    WTF?

How many ministers understand IT project risk?

Curious. Who amongst them cryin' ... "risky" is able to understand the risk?

If they'd gone with "one throat to choke" and "greater performance penalties" and better defined "KPIs" then I'd leave them with Fujitsu but they arguably cocked that up. Why not try something new ... and stop bleatin' about risk.

Popcorn, action.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How many ministers understand IT project risk?

Considering the almost uniform track record of massively-overbudget train-wrecks; I would have thought that almost anything was less risky. Even if you give the contract to a bunch of Syrian refugees bobbing about in mid-Med; who will have to manage everything over GPRS before their batteries run out, it's probably not going to be more of a fuck-up than usual; and will be a damn sight cheaper.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck with that ..

"end user devices, application packaging and deployment, IMACD ['Install, Move, Add, Change and Decommission'], administrative infrastructure, remote access, application performance monitoring and virtual desktops, but also includes some requirements bespoke to HMRC," for the entire HMRC end user platform ? Given that large swathes of UK public bodies still have XP , win7 etc .. the quoted spec seems like a massive money pit for the "lucky" winner, especially given the 12 to 84 month decision making timeline that will likely exist.

My guess is either HCL or Wipro will "win" and run it into the ground inside 3 years

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gender issues...

Yet another story about the taxMAN. In future, to redress the balance please replace this offensive term with taxWOMAN (only once the balance has been redressed you may revert to taxperson).

8. Dave 15

SME? Well, if it does go to one it will NOT be a British one

Government contract to a British company? Not a hope in hell.

No, it will go to one of the huge French or German consultancies who will take the money spend a fraction of it on an Indian engineer, fail to deliver and then charge the tax payer a fortune for amending the contract to something that might work.

When **they** choose they will decide that no sme in the UK has the 'experience' of doing this... even though the ultimate winner will be employing Indian graduates with no experience of anything.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like