back to article Old, complex code could cause another UK banking TITSUP – study

Another major banking outage similar to the RBS disaster back in 2012 is likely to happen again in the UK, given the amount of legacy code in the sector, according to research. The average mission critical banking application has around 600,000 lines of code, according to a study by software firm CAST which analysed systems …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deja vu

I could have sworn I read about some remarkably similar "research" by the Institute for Studies several weeks ago - oh look, I did.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Deja vu

Interestingly, the CAST Press Release that led to the earlier El Reg article was entitled:

Revealed: Why UK Banks Crash All The Time [dateline March 23, 2016, London]

It was followed by another press release citing the same report [dateline March 24, 2016, New York] and entitled:

Study Reveals U.S. IT Systems Unfit for Digital Future

So it could all perhaps be summed up as:

Vendor alleges crisis in $MARKET can be solved by giving them $CURRENCY

2. BebopWeBop
    Facepalm

Well spotted - and the comments on their 'methodology' will all roll back in...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Statistics ...

For some reason I remember the story of an army officer (pre 1918, possibly) who did some number crunching and "predicted" that so many men would end up being castrated by being kicked by horses in the coming year.

It wasn't magic - just a realisation that the event happened with a frequency greater than 1/year.

It *may* have been the Belgian army.

1. kmac499

Re: Statistics ...

There was a study of Prussian cavalry, this led to the Poisson distribution. Which I believe is used quite a bit in retail palnning apps. A fairly predictable rate of low occurrence events with occasional high outliers..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Statistics ...

"There was a study of Prussian cavalry, this led to the Poisson distribution"

What?! You mean being kicked in the nads by a fish!?!? - instructions unclear.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only devops can save us now!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Devil

Oh no not the 'devops' inquisition

Please no.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge

"Even if something has been written in Java in 90s that is still 20 years ago."

So what if it's documented, tested, and maintained. Java is a current language. Are they supposed to throw it out and go with Rust, Go, or Ruby on Rails?

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: "Even if something has been written in Java in 90s that is still 20 years ago."

As any fule kno: software documentation wasn't invented until 2003 so the code will be undocumented.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Re: "Even if something has been written in Java in 90s that is still 20 years ago."

I am struggling to understand why Old Software is Bad Software. Software doesn't perish or rust like hardware, nor do the component parts wear out with use.

What this actually means that it has 20 years of being used in a real environment, 20 years of bugs being identified and fixed. Not like the new, shiny, barely tested stuff.

1. Electron Shepherd

True, but in a lot of industries, especially finance, the regulatory environment changes, and that makes the software out of date. Effectively, the software gains bugs by not changing, and so failing to keep up with the world in which it operates.

1. Skoorb

Yes, Things Change.

A brilliant example of this is RBS/NatWest Telephone, Online and Mobile banking.

A telephone banking system was developed to hook into the main banking system. This telephone banking system is separate to the main branch system, logging all transactions against a four digit call number, before passing them over to the main banking system.

Becauase parts of the main branch banking system dates back to the 60s, it was not possible to actually integrate the telephone banking system fully; it has to sit separately and just pass transaction messages back and forth as if it were a special type of branch terminal.

The online banking system was developed to hang off the end of the telephone banking system, so all transactions are passed to the telephone banking system and treated as coming from a telephone "call", before being transferred to the main branch system with a call number.

The mobile banking system hangs off the end of both the online and telephone banking systems, but cannot generate proper call numbers, so simply logs everything against telephone call 0, then leaves the telephone banking system to pass the transaction over to the branch system.

So, a right mess there then, with lots of potential to go wrong. No decent software engineer would even consider designing a system that way if implemented today - the potential for failures and security flaws is just too high.

You will also notice how everything is predicated on having a telephone banking login, and how your telephone banking details also double as your online banking log in details, with no easy way to separate the two.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"that makes the software out of date"

No, it makes it require maintenance. Development is the process by which software is launched into maintenance. It usually spends most of its life there so it's no excuse for assigning the least competent staff to the job. Neither is it an excuse for relying on maintenance to do all the bug-fixing that should have been done during development (did someone say continuous release?) so documentation and testing are equally important in both phases.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

Out of date numbers cause software bugs? You should write for Dilbert.

2. glen waverley

Smooth Newt "Software doesn't perish or rust like hardware, nor do the component parts wear out with use."

I used to work in a place where we used to get a phenomenon called "bit rot". Stuff would stop working for no apparent reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The Tao of programming states:

A well-used door needs no oil on its hinges.

A swift-flowing stream does not grow stagnant.

A deer blends perfectly into the forest colors.

Software rots if not used.

These are great mysteries.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I used to work in a place where we used to get a phenomenon called "bit rot". Stuff would stop working for no apparent reason.

Bit rot is the phenomenon in which code which is written with certain assumptions about the environment in which it is used, breaks, because the environment changes in subtle ways that cause those assumptions to no longer hold true.

e.g. you might have a LSB (systemv) init script that takes arguments after the "start"/"stop" argument to allow you to start/stop subservices. Then systemd comes along and wraps your LSB init script up in a wrapper that ignores and strips these arguments: causing bit rot that breaks the feature.

I've spent the last few days battling bit rot in the Xaraya CMS. Ideally, I'd rip out Xaraya and replace it with something else, but that would require locating the original design docs (most of which were in the head of a now deceased colleague).

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"I am struggling to understand why Old Software is Bad Software."

Software a consultant can't make money from is bad software.

4. Daniel von Asmuth
          Pint

Indeed. What would happen if the banks start replacing old complex code with fashionable ultra-complex code? The one thing you can be sure of is that the performance will decline (espciallty with Java code).

2. PNGuinn
        Trollface

"As any fule kno: software documentation wasn't invented until 2003 so the code will be undocumented."

That's news to me.

I naively thought that that patent was years away yet.....

All together now:

"Does - your - sourcecode - loose it's comments on the bedpost overnightttt?"

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: "undocumented code"

That would be COBOL I assume?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
          Thumb Up

"Does - your - sourcecode - loose it's comments on the bedpost overnightttt?"

Brilliant.

1. P. Lee
            Coat

>"Does - your - sourcecode - loose it's comments on the bedpost overnightttt?"

Yes, but the bedpost is strong enough to withstand them.

2. a_yank_lurker

If they it was Cobol or something as ancient they I would say they definitely have something. Java is still active but I could see some PHB refusing the money to update some ~2000 Java code which is using some deprecated features that runs erratically at best on Java 8.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"However, in the UK mission-critical banking apps have between 800,000-900,000 lines of code."

So that's the apps. What about the application programs?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Pah

"However, in the UK mission-critical banking apps have between 800,000-900,000 lines of code."

If that is a problem, then just remove the line breaks. As a Perl programmer, I do that all the time.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Pah

As a Perl programmer did you actually put them in in the first place.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

As a Perl programmer did you actually put them in in the first place.

Actually, you are right, I didn't. If it can't be done in one line, no matter how long, then it isn't worth doing.

2. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

LoC: "...just remove the line breaks..."

Back in the Tandy Colour Computer days (circa 1981), there were 'One Line (of BASIC code) Contests'. About 240-some characters to work with.

Many examples were outstanding and/or hilarious. Tiny video games. Utilities. An Adventure game engine (additional DATA statements holding the content).

3. P. Lee

>>"However, in the UK mission-critical banking apps have between 800,000-900,000 lines of code."

>If that is a problem, then just remove the line breaks. As a Perl programmer, I do that all the time.

Perl programmers are the reason the code has a variable number of lines.

2. yoganmahew

When did measuring in lines of code become a thing again? Are we back in the 1970s all of a sudden?

Anyway, more lines of code=better structured code=easier to maintain.

Well done UK banking ;)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And then think of all the crap in the underlying OS too. For instance Microsoft have a rule that no line of code in Windows can ever be deleted in case some 1980s game still relies on it.

1. Skoorb

With most banking systems that would be an IBM Mainframe or two running z/OS and z/TPF etc OSs, with something like Computer Associates' (remember them? ) CA-7 actually triggering all the batch jobs.

Mainframes and their OSs are a little bit different from pretty much any other system you will ever touch.

2. Rich 11

no line of code in Windows can ever be deleted

I would be deeply unhappy if my copy of Alpha Centauri ever stopped working. I might have to ask for my money back.

8. WibbleMe

I am a coder, its the quality of the code not the length, if its there then it has purpose

1. Warm Braw

if its there then it has purpose

In the case of very-long-lived commercial applications, it's often the case that "if it's there, it may have had a purpose at some indeterminate point in the lifetime of the application". Exactly what purpose that was, and whether the code path might be required for some random future transaction is not always something that is clear.

Given banks' reliance on contractors and their enthusiasm for merging, splitting and outsourcing, it's quite surprising that any of it works at all.

"Exactly what purpose that was, and whether the code path might be required for some random future transaction is not always something that is clear."

It should be if the code was properly documented and the best place to do that is in the code itself, not in some separate document that's either been lost or never updated since day one.

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"I am a coder..."

Of course you are.

You've made nine errors in one line.

"I am a coder, its the quality of the code not the length, if its there then it has purpose"

I am a coder. It's the quality of the code, not the length. If it's there, then it has purpose.

1. BurnT'offering

Re: "I am a coder..."

A coder might well have written that sentence. A programmer, on the other hand ...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's not his fault English doesn't have a compiler to catch errors. And it's such a weakly typed language.

1. cloth

I did once argue that in order to be a good coder you had to have a good command of grammatical structures and ability to communicate well. I don't know many story telling 'coders' or 'programmers' - but I do know an awful lot of introverted techies who are always looking for something more interesting than 'making sure that thing runs well and is maintainable'.....Sigh.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I am a coder, its the quality of the code not the length, if its there then it has purpose"

And very often that purpose is to deal with Stuff That Should Never Happen when it happens. The more you've got of that the better.

4. Velv
      Boffin

"... its the quality of the code not the length..."

Quality is a subjective measure. Heavily documented code that's clear and easy to maintain could be quality to one situation where tight efficient complex code is quality in a different situation.

9. David Roberts

Distant memories

Once in my youth I was a COBOL programmer and I still remember the heady excitement of a week writing all the active code.

Followed by a month or so writing all the exception routines which made up over 90% of the average programme and were probably never used in production.

So sheer volume is no real measure of how good or reliable the code is. Although the more lines of code there are the higher the odds of an undetected flaw.

Re: Distant memories

"all the exception routines which made up over 90% of the average programme and were probably never used in production."

Like all safety devices, you hope they're never needed but when they are they're really needed.

"So sheer volume is no real measure of how good or reliable the code is. Although the more lines of code there are the higher the odds of an undetected flaw."

You're arguing against yourself here. All those exception handlers are there so that you can detect flaws. It's lot's of lines that don't do checking that are the problem.

" It's lot's of lines that don't do checking that are the problem."

Damned apostrophes, breeding when you're not watching. Must be bit rot.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Damned apostrophes, breeding when you're not watching. Must be bit rot.

You're going to blame the machine for that apostrophe atrocity when the problem likely exists between the keyboard and chair?

10. AndrewDu

Software Engineering company bewails lack of employment opportunities for Software Engineers in the banking industry.

Surprise!

11. Alister

Has anyone considered that the extra 300Klocs in UK code might be more comprehensive error checking and handling? No?

It seems a real stretch to me to be able to state that more klocs = more errors without any terms of reference.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon