back to article Opower, my power: Oracle spends $532m to get some utilities cloud, er, power

Oracle has announced it will acquire Opower in a $532m deal to close by the end of 2016. Virginia-based Opower, which stores and analyses more than 600 billion meter reads from 60 million utility end-customers, is a public company. Its shares were up 29 per cent in pre-market trading on Monday after Oracle declared it would …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yes. Fascinating.

Why a picture of Kalinin nuclear power plant though? Is Larry also contemplating buying Dynamo Moscow?

2. Erik4872

Oracle's buying an IoT Cloud

Seems like Oracle's trying to build out a cloud with all the applications pre-written. I guess this makes sense, because most enterprise IT people I know are avoiding Oracle as much as they can these days. That means that their cloud is going to only sell to the Oracle True Believers out there, of which there are fewer as of late.

It's a good strategy, in that they will become the toll bridge for the IoT in sectors that they cover. Smart meters are a perfect target, because power companies are most likely dependent on Oracle's enterprise software stack.

1. TheVogon

Re: Oracle's buying an IoT Cloud

"because most enterprise IT people I know are avoiding Oracle as much as they can these days"

+1

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like