back to article Dell Storage Centre: Following more than one of our series? Here's the remote

Dell says its Storage Center OS v7.0 adds deduplication and compression to make more efficient use of flash memory. It also adds common management and cross-replication for SC and PS series kit. SC, or Storage Center, is the operating system software for Dell's SC series arrays, originally branded Compellent, and generally …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds great

Previous user of Compellent across 5 sites, its a great storage solution, never liked Dell saying they are FC, as we used all out in 10Gb iSCSI and it worked a treat, we migrated from FC to iSCSI on purpose.

De-dupe and compression long time coming, remember chatting to SE's when they were still Compellent about that coming along.

Still hoping SC(Compellent) has a bright future but that ain't going to happen with the merger, VNX is going to win by default as they move Dell Storage over to Boston and EMC HQ, how can the better tech possibly win!!!

Congrats is due on a solid tech release on a good platform!!

2. CAPS LOCK

Compression and Deduplication? Fantastic, but...

... can't I get that free AND on generic hardware using ZFS? Why yes I can....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Compression and Deduplication? Fantastic, but...

But you don't get the support.. Usually I'm a skeptic when it comes to vendor support, but Dell's EQL/Compellant pro-support teams are awesome. Twice they have saved my bacon and several TB of company data..

2. Nate Amsden

sure, and you get all of the other pitfalls associated with ZFS along with it.

I think ZFS is a good file system(I even use it for basic file sharing NAS, with real block storage underneath), but I wouldn't ever really consider it as a storage platform. Not even oracle themselves can seem to get it right.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought there was already post processing dedupe and compression on the replays on Dell Compellents? I really liked the Compellents when I looked after some a few years ago now, before Dell bought them. The direct Compellent support was excellent.

I need to work with Netapp's now, bane of my life. We are looking into Pure arrays, have a few test ones. They are amazing, on Par with the Compellents anyway. And the contract is far far better, no escalating support costs or renew costs. I would highly recommend them.

ZFS being a file system is fine, a file system does not a SAN make.

EMC probably has the worst support out of all storage providers I have ever had to deal with. Deplorable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like