back to article 'Grey tech' broker DP Data Systems has gone titsup

DP Data Systems has given up the ghost just months after committing to quit the grey market in favour of “authorised” tech. The company’s website stated, “Sorry we have now ceased trading”. Suppliers and customers were then directed to email addresses of the firm's accounts and credit control departments respectively. Back in …

1. Alister

Vowed to go clean rather than shut up shop. Shuts up shop

That made me laugh.

Obviously, integrity and probity don't pay.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Vowed to go clean rather than shut up shop. Shuts up shop

>integrity and probity don't pay

Clearly not. Undermining the free market by using trademark law to prevent buyers getting the best price is the way to go if you want to make money and stay in business.

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Unhappy

As I've said before around these parts (translation:copying and pasting an old rant...)

This is what really irks me about the way "globalization" is practiced at the moment, in theory it's great - shopping around whether you're a customer or supplier, using global arbitrage to take advantage of localized economic strengths.

In practice, the big companies have got the second half of that locked up - a supplier will make widgets, gewgaws or IT kit anywhere in the world where it's cheapest - but they've lobbied to get the laws structured so that we, the customers, can't do the same thing.

If HP or whoever choose to set lower prices for their kit in (say) Vietnam to account for local conditions, why shouldn't I be able to buy it there and import it into the UK?

Ah, right, "grey market", and it harms UK suppliers by undercutting them. So how come companies can harm local workers by moving production offshore? If one's allowed, the other should be too.

Ok, rant over. I'm sure someone will now explain how my grasp of economics is flawed.

2. TheVogon

'grey tech'

I had visions of things like these: http://www.ttfone.com/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This could be a greeeeaaat place for a double penetration double entendre, Reg headline editors...

1. Rainer

They obviously didn't have the balls to do it.

1. DiViDeD
        Coat

Re They obviously didn't have the balls to do it.

Well if you do all your penetration with your balls, you're probably not ...yes, the one on the left. With the exceptionally long arms

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought this was about selling to old people.

4. Sgt_Oddball

I wonder...

My old workplace was one of their rivals on the lower end of the market yet when I left, yet had a turn over about half of dp yet used to have almost double the profit. So I have to wonder if they really were getting the best deal anyways or if there was something else going on that's not been reported on yet.

5. The Godfather
    Pint

Shrinkage

Another loss to those that bought from them on the sly.... would be great to see their client base.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon