back to article Lenovo: Markets for our products 'will remain challenging'

Mergers and acquisitions and restructuring costs led to Lenovo booking its first annual loss since 2009, but crappy demand for PCs and smartphones didn’t exactly help to wax the bottom line either. The Beijing HQ’d biz reported sales for fiscal ’16 ended 31 March of $44.9bn, down three per cent year-on-year, after ending the …

1. djstardust

I think they need to have a word

With Microsoft.

There's nothing wrong with their machines (I have several of them) but nobody wants windows 10 (and all the data slurping). Until that hurdle is crossed then things ain't going to get any better.

My Lenovo PCs have Windows 8.1 and to be fair the Metro interface is pretty bad, but installing Start8 and booting to desktop made them fine and they are all really stable.

When I talk to people selling PCs they all agree nobody wants Windows any more, so where's the solution?

1. Gray
      Trollface

Re: I think they need to have a word

" nobody wants Windows any more, so where's the solution?"

I, too, have several older Lenovo laptops: a T-60, T-400, and X130e. All are fine, quality units. The T-60 did have XP; it now runs Debian/XFCE Linux and is very snappy despite its "age." The T-400 came with Windows 7; it is protected with the never10 firewall against Win10 upgrade malware. It's now a dual-boot machine with Debian/XFCE Linux. It's much faster and more stable running Linux.

The notebook X130e is a delight; it, too came with Win7 and is inoculated against Win10 coercion. Debian/XFCE Linux on a dual-boot partition was a major upgrade in performance.

Sadly for Lenovo, these used laptops will be several years before becoming "obsolete" and requiring replacement in our home as Linux platforms. Most likely, the Windows partitions will need wiping in two years owing to MS interference. See a pattern here? Perhaps an alternative? Lenovo might take a wider view. The excrescence coming from Redmond has contaminated Lenovo's market, and killed our temptation to buy a new replacement.

2. W. Anderson

Lenovo lost in history of PC domination

Similar news of severe downturn in PC sales have been reported recently by HP, Dell and others, yet fervent Microsoft supporters on TheRegister never seem to accept the reality of this major shift, and continue to express, even more forcefully and vocally the idea that Microsoft PC business will return to it's former glory and even notion that Windows smartphone and general Mobile sales will eventually dominate, coming from approximately 4% overall compared to about 93% for Apple and Android mobile sales, and still growing rapidly, especially on international stage.

Lenovo's X86 server sales have stalled somewhat, since the massive sales growth in that sector is taken by Chinese white box manufacturers with hundreds of thousands of bare bones units shipped regularly to Google, Amazon, Facebook and other behemoths, who use their own Linux Operating System (OS) software distributions, leaving US hardware and Microsoft out in the cold.

3. a_yank_lurker

An Option

If Slurp refuses to fix Winbloat then maybe Lenovo should pick a solid Linux distro and market it hard as a alternative to Winbloat without the spyware.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

enemy witin

just to add to the Microsoft comments. It really doesn't help when they are pushing surface into the traditional vendor's install base. covertly I would say, and to say that its to open up a new market is partially correct but to be honest they are now eating the lunch of the likes of HP/DELL and Lenovo.

Who needs friends !.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like