back to article Foxconn to slurp loss-making Smart Technologies for $200m

Loss-making interactive display vendor Smart Technologies has agreed to sell up to Foxconn for $200m. Under the terms of the deal, the Chinese contract manufacturer will fork out $4.50 per Smart Tech share, equating to a 21 per cent premium on the average trading price in the last 90 days. The buy gives Smart access to a “ …

1. Paul Woodhouse

Isn't Foxconn Taiwanese? They may get upset about being described as Chinese...

2. localzuk Silver badge

"Revenues at Smart peaked at $800m in 2011, but things have taken a turn for the worse since as the global economy remained stuck in a rut."

Don't think the economy had anything to do with it. Since 2011, SMART has fallen behind its competitors. They stuck to their high price model, and complicated licensing model far too long. Competitors such as Sahara and BenQ have produced superb alternatives to their interactive displays, and offered them at a much lower price.

OK, SMART's pricing has dropped lately, as they finally seem to have realised that the market has changed, but them reacting far too slowly is what has done this.

I know I'll be questioning whether we buy SMART gear ever again at the Multi Academy Trust I work for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like