back to article The screeching of Violin Memory's parting strings is horrible

Another great quarter. Not. Violin Memory made a paltry $9.7m in revenue and posted a $22m loss for its first fiscal 2017 quarter. Revenues were down 20 per cent on the year-ago quarter and 11 per cent on the previous quarter, the fourth fiscal 2016 quarter, when revenues of $10.9m and losses of $25.5m were followed by lay- …

1. Dave Harvey

Why is The Register so interested in this failure of a company?

I've never heard of them anywhere else, they're a real minnow, even the stock analysts have given up on them, so amongst all the things that we could be hearing about - why do we always get stories about Violin memory (and DevOps!) ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Executive Ownership

It's all very well claiming that the management team are investing their own money, but when I compare the 75,000 shares recently purchased by the CEO (for just $37k) with the 600,000 RSUs he was *given* in December it looks like a token gesture...

http://rankandfiled.com/#/public/VMEM/ownership

3. Tony S

I first came across Violin about 6 years ago; I was mega impressed with their product. The price was a little high for my budget, but I could see a real argument for using their system, especially for the bigger systems.

That was a bit after we had implemented SAP; and with the issues that we faced, I thought for sure that here was a match that could not fail. Here was away for the really big implementations to avoid some of the key problems with performance, and at a price that was well within their budget.

So I am still puzzled at how they are still struggling. It just shows that nothing in this world is guaranteed.

4. Sir Humphrey Appleby GCMC

You gotta love that language.

Is that "theater", er, "theatre" as in

a) scalpels cutting and blood squirting

b) shells, mortars, explosions all around you

c) guys in drag declamating works of fiction, e.g. annual reports?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like