back to article IDC rolls out all-flash crystal ball again and it's all gone a bit weird

IDC has issued all-flash array revenue numbers showing EMC is the belle of the AFA ball, with Pure fourth in the market, behind EMC, IBM and HPE, while NetApp and Huawei are wallflowers. The numbers more or less agree with Gartner’s all-flash array (AFA) supplier revenue shares published in April, but differ in detail. We …

1. XtremJosh

Both IDC and Gartner count product revenue only in their market share data.

2. Nate Amsden

where they are

Is in the others category. El reg's own reporting has violin revenue as a rounding error.

Not likely dell cares much since they plan to have EMC soon.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

silly classification by idc

dell is not in others category.

idc doesnt even count dell in AFA land as it doesn't have a dedicated model that is only AFA... bloody silly if you ask me...

from how i see it, All-Flash is a configuration, not a product

it would be interesting to get a view of how well dell is doing in HFA and AFA. they have been shipping tons of arrays with tlc ssd for a long time that offers price:performance ratio that is almost unbeatable. coupled with the recently launched dedup function in scos7, they seriously deserve some attention

1. SANguy2412
      Pint

Re: silly classification by idc

All flash COULD be a configuration, but that would be a blurring of the category in my opinion. AFAs are purpose built, from the ground up with flash as the media, incorporating key distinctions in how it reads/writes data, in-line services (dedupe, compression) etc.

Even post-process for that matter as it needs to maximize longevity, drive wear (leveling), garbage collections, etc., It's therefore shouldn't be just a traditional array with flash drives put into to replace spinning disks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like