back to article 'Windows 10 nagware: You can't click X. Make a date OR ELSE'

According to a complaint from a reader, Microsoft’s Windows 10 nagware campaign has entered a new phase, with options to evade or escape an upgrade vanishing. Recently, Microsoft’s policy had been to throw up a dialogue box asking you whether you wanted to install Windows 10. If you clicked the red “X” to close the box – the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tsung
    Devil

What date is good for you?

Maybe an option would be to set the date time so far into the future it wouldn't matter?

1. Paul Woodhouse

Re: What date is good for you?

I like that idea, think if it pops up I'll set the date to the 14th January 2020..

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I'd like to know the date range. Probably the day before the year is up.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I'll set the date to the 14th January 2020"

Postpone it a little longer. 29th February 2021.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

what happens if you put 31st December 2100 ....

2. Bob Vistakin
      Windows

Would a spare $90k fix it?

3. John Gamble
    4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Having also had a family member fall victim to this, I can confirm that you can set the scheduled date to one of the next five days that Microsoft ever so helpfully limit you to selecting.

So, you can have Windows 10 now or anytime in the next five days ... love that MS have given me such a wide ranging choice of dates so far into the future :(

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I have a laptop and a desktop both awaiting some TLC from me, but I haven't bothered to even turn them on since all this malarky kicked off. I'll turn them on when the danger's passed.

If they still fuck me about after that they're getting Linux (along with the other systems I've switched over since I couldn't afford to let them stew).

Hopefully, with AMD and Vulcan and HTC Vive all creating the perfect gaming storm that Linux has been awaiting all these years, I will only ever need Windows to do work-related stuff - which is on a work laptop and I couldn't give a stuff what they use on that. If it borks due to Win10 updates then I'm still billing for my time whilst I await a replacement - I can live with that :)

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

" but I haven't bothered to even turn them on since all this malarky kicked off. I'll turn them on when the danger's passed."

Given the way MS is forcing this, it will probably decide to upgrade NOW, no arguments or alternatively they will keep postponing the drop dead date out until they've achieved the update goal.

Probably both.

2. Rod 6

I've got a win 7 VM with 500Mb free disk space that I boot from linux when I need to fiddly formatting on word documents. I have not booted the thing for months, I'm dreading booting it, because I know it's going to be a whole world of hassle.

1. E_Nigma

If you disabled auto-update on your VM, you're gold. If not, you can disable its network card before booting up and then disable auto update (and re-enable the network interface).

3. dave 81

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

seems to work.

4. BobChip
          Happy

Windows - to do work related stuff? I may be out of line here, since I don't know what sort of work you do, but:-

1 Have you checked out Linux equivalents to Win software? Things have moved very fast in the last couple of years, and excellent (and free) Linux software is available for most of the common applications.

2 If you absolutely have to use Win software, a Linux host plus (say) VirtualBox and a virtual copy of Win 7 should do the trick. Of course, it is still essential to GWX the system, just as you would with Win as a primary OS. Alternatively, disable updates and disable internet access (no more Win 10 nags) and feed data in and out through the host. With a stable virtual Win up and running, you do not need "security" updates anyway.

Honestly, nobody actually NEEDS Microsoft for anything any more. All it takes is a little courage to cut the ties and set yourself free.

1. CPU

Linux makes for a slow desktop (graphics still laggy unless you happen to have just the right video card with the OEM driver).

I can't ever see Overwatch, or any PC game, getting ported to Linux world.

In short, Linux could make a case for business desktop, but a gaming desktop-nope.

1. Danny 14

Just set it for 5 days time. That is PLENTY of time to either A) abandon windows or B) install GWX control panel and be rid of all W10 nag screens.

2. Charles 9

No Linux version of Fallout 4, and according to Bethesda, never will.

And unless VM support for DX12 comes along, I don't trust virtualizing a gaming rig with a Steam collection that's Windows-only and VM- and WINE-unfriendly.

1. Ben Tasker

> And unless VM support for DX12 comes along, I don't trust virtualizing a gaming rig with a Steam collection that's Windows-only and VM- and WINE-unfriendly.

Not saying it's necessarily the right solution for you, but one option would be to do something like this

http://lg.io/2015/07/05/revised-and-much-faster-run-your-own-highend-cloud-gaming-service-on-ec2.html

Edit - making link clicky

2. sisk

So, you can have Windows 10 now or anytime in the next five days ... love that MS have given me such a wide ranging choice of dates so far into the future :(

I don't have to deal with this particular headache (and let me say I've never been so glad to by a Linux user), but knowing the way Microsoft operates it seems likely that the date is set somewhere in the registry. Set it 5 days out to give yourself plenty of time to work then fire up regedit and find the date and change it. January 1, 3016 (Or in the unlikely event that it's a 32 bit system Jan 20, 2038) should give you plenty of time before the machine updates.

Of course that's a complete guess and could be completely wrong. I don't have a Windows 7 box threatening to update without permission to check it on.

1. ps2os2
          Alien

I still vote for windows 3.11 its still available and still works

5. Mark 85

I posted this on another Win10 topic and I'll drop it here.... we are not alone in our being pissed off.

And then this past weekend I read that the Chinese are really pissed with the MS tactics and the problems with Win10...

http://fortune.com/2016/05/28/china-microsoft-windows-10-upgrade/

Sent the link to El Reg but so far it seems to have been ignored.

1. razorfishsl

Only because most copies of windows in China are stolen and they are upset that they will have to pay for something they have been using illegally for free.

Lawsuits?

yes sir, i wish to sue microsoft for trying to upgrade the illegal copy of their software i have....

2. ma1010
    Holmes

It's GWX Control Panel or Linux

As most all Reg readers know by now, if you don't want YOUR computer to be assimilated into the Windows X Borg, install GWX Control panel or, better yet, opt out of MS altogether and go Linux, if that's possible for you.

1. Richard Boyce

Re: It's GWX Control Panel or Linux

Use Never10 from grc.com. That way you don't need to install anything.

1. Geoffrey W

RE: "Use Never10 from grc.com. That way you don't need to install anything"

Just for the record. GWX does not need installing either. There is an option to just download the executable. Down it an run it. That's it.

1. Geoffrey W

And further to my own post, in case the down voter thought I was referring to GWX itself, I meant GWX control panel which doesn't need to be installed.

2. Joe User

Or make a few registry edits:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]

"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Great ..... until Microsoft change it so that "DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001 is interpreted as "Yes, please"

2. Stoneshop
          Mushroom

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

Next week you'll be needing to add

"TotallyBlockOSUpgradeAndIMeanIt"=dword:00000001

"GWXGoDieInAFire"=dword:00000001

1. Bluto Nash

You forgot

"GoddamitISaidNoYouPOS"=dword:00000001

"GoTakeAFlyingFsckAtARollingDoughnut"=dword:00000001

2. veti Silver badge

@Stoneshop: you may mock, but I made those registry edits 9 months ago, and GWX hasn't bugged me since. Not once, through all the horror stories we've heard in that time.

3. btsfh

There's a decent batch of updates to kill on the PC Master Race subreddit as well https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3g7hr0/removing_telemetry_from_windows_7_and_8x/

But even after disabling/removing bad updates, you will still want to reality check any new updates before installing. I've seen a couple magically reappear after hiding them so they don't get inadvertantly installed

3. illiad

you dont need to 'install' GWX Control Panel - it is a standalone program, and can be started over the company network or usb directly..

'monitor mode' is the only thing that needs repeated access to the program, so neededing a copy on local drive... :)

2. nkuk

I'm glad I don't even have to think about this BS any more. Upgrading to Mint was the best PC related thing I've done in a very long time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I came to the same conclusion. Just couldn't be bothered with any of this ducking and dodging any more. *nix, and carry on as before :)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have GWX/CP on board and tried never10 (but it coincided with an email client problem so I sys-restored out) but I don't expect this to be the last Microsoft strong arm tactic.

Just in case, all Windows/Microsoft updates have been disabled until August. That should do it.

Its getting to the point where it would be better for the world if Microsoft went the same way as Nokia.

4. energystar
      Paris Hilton

Is THIS real?

A pop-up windows is just that, context-less. As a phrase out of a conversation.

1. energystar
        IT Angle

Anyway, keep your luggage ready...

Data Backups, System DVDs burnt, bla, bla...

1. energystar
          Mushroom

EVICTION NOTICE.

So far, so much for code YOU DON'T OWN.

[This HAS TO BE a mistake]. Support Legally until End Of Life of The Product. Microsoft has been in compliment of this forever. You can take a an Win2K WS Frisbee and use it [unplugged of course] as long as you wish.

Are WE into FUD mode?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Pirate

Re: EVICTION NOTICE.

What I'm wondering is why it says "Legal" at the bottom of their pwnership notice :-|

Is it an abbreviation for "Illegal" ...in much the same way as little red crosses are now an abbreviation for "oooh yes, please erase 'my' OS and a tranche of my applications from 'my' computer and replace it all with that gimped fucking malware you can't even give away"?

Or is it just raw sarcasm?

2. energystar
        Paris Hilton

Re: Is THIS real?

"...the option to re-schedule a chosen upgrade time once you’ve confirmed it..."

Total change amounts to suppressing abort once committed. Also to suppressing additional rescheduling. So be careful. NOT COMMITTING TO THE UPDATE, to begin with...

THIS COMMITTING, as far as I legally understand, has to come from an ADMINISTRATIVE account, in order to protect the elder, younger, digitally challenged.

1. TonyJ

Re: Is THIS real?

energystar...dude...what the hell are you smoking? I can only assume that English isn't your first language.

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Vista?

Eh, I though win10 was only being foisted on an already suffering world users of Win7/8/8.1?

1. DailyLlama
      Pint

Re: Vista?

Good news for those of us who work at a charity and thought we were going to have to fork out for new hardware to run it!

Will be installing Spybot Anti-Beacon too, as part of the upgrade, so that makes me a happy bunny!

2. Dave K

Re: Vista?

That screenshot is Windows 7, not Vista. I think it's a mistake in the article.

4. hellwig

Wow...

That's a fairly strong-armed tactic there.

Is this only on Vista though? Vista is end of life, so is this upgrade mandatory because Vista itself is no longer supported?

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Wow...

@hellwig

Uh oh, mum is running Fista better call her and break the bad news.

1. Geoffrey W

@chivo243

I hope you don't talk to your mum like that. Go wash your mouth with vitriol.

2. energystar
        Trollface

Which version?

3. Bloakey1

"Uh oh, mum is running Fista better call her and break the bad news."

If she is being Fisted it would be best to ring back later when she will be less busy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like