back to article Dragons' Den-run cloud biz Outsourcery close to sale – sources

Cash-strapped AIM-listed infrastructure services biz Outsourcery – co-run by former Dragons' Den badass Piers Linney – is close to wrapping up a pre-pack administration, multiple sources have told The Register. Trading in the firm's shares was suspended on Friday after top brass postponed publication of last year's results and …

1. Bob Vistakin
  2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't invest in buzzwords

This is exactly why you shouldn't simply invest based on buzzwords. I remember researching this company when Linney was on Dragon's Den and thinking; "what on Earth does this company ACTUALLY do?". It doesn't seem to offer anything unique and just looks like a consultancy business that claims to "know about cloud". I mean seriously, one of their banners on their front page is "Skype for Business"... Eh? If I want Skype for my business, I will go to Skype, right!?

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Don't invest in buzzwords

What annoyed me was Dragons' Den introducing him as a "cloud computing pioneer" when it was clear from day one that he was just another City chancer.

2. Buzzword

Re: Don't invest in buzzwords

To be fair, it is quite reasonable to spend money on consultancy up-front to find out if Skype for Business is the right thing for you. But running a consultancy isn't a Dragons Den style business: there are no economies of scale.

3. The Godfather
    Thumb Down

Pardon?

Could never quite understand precisely what this business was supposed to be selling.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What happens when techies have too much say in running a business.

This company could have been very successful but poor management and some rather strange business decisions have led them here.

There was never enough focus on driving sales and growth instead Outsourcery adopted a "build it and they will come" attitude which clearly didn't pay off.

Instead of fiddling while Rome burns evaluating new platforms and technology Outsourcery should have slashed costs, focussed on their USP's and employed some decent sales leadership.

I wonder if Piers will be asked back onto the telly after this???

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon