back to article Microsoft's mobile device management meltdown

Microsoft UK’s online enterprise mobility device management service Intune suffered a near four-hour wobble this morning that was rectified early in the afternoon. The firm ‘fessed up to “issues” and to “service degradation” on its online service status page at 9am. “We continue to work on a configuration change to speed up …

1. djstardust
    Paris Hilton

Be better if

someone could pull the plug on the whole of Microsoft. Permanently.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Facepalm

Enterprise?

A service for Enterprise users, yet needs Microsoft servers on the internet to work? (AKA so called Cloud)

3. EvilGardenGnome
    Headmaster

Upshot

Always makes me chuckle when I see this. Not sure how universal/local it is, but I grew up with "the upshot" being a good result, rather than simply a result. Makes the article even more giggle worthy.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

What really happened

Sources close to the matter revealed that the internal array used to hold live device information was sized to reflect the projected sales of Windows phones for the decade, and an unhandled array out of bounds exception was raised when the unexpected 33rd phone surprisingly got activated this morning.

The array has now been resized to 64 - 'good for the next couple of decades', as the source put it. When asked why the sizing wasn't dynamic, the source quipped that the rest of Microsoft 'has been static for years so why should Microsoft arrays be any different?'

1. Bob Vistakin
      Windows

Re: What really happened

The gift that keeps on giving.

2. Mark 85

Re: What really happened

Ah.. That's good that was the problem. Here, I was thinking they repurposed the server to handle the demand from all the users wanting Windows 10. My faith in humanity (not MS however) is restored.

5. Terry 6 Silver badge
    Windows

Feet - shooting. Same old same old.

I was, maybe still am, pretty much a supporter of Microsoft.

Things do go wrong. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't al least come clean and say what happened.

It does seem as if Microsoft have a knack of making bad decisions.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Holmes

Re: Feet - shooting. Same old same old.

The icon says all.

6. Phil Kingston

Why the fuss?

In the scheme of things, the impact of a few hours of not being able to deploy new policies or change existing ones isn't a serious issue. Is it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the fuss?

Yeah, I feel safe and secure that all my corporate devices / inventory is in Intune - NOT. If it was any other EMM vendor (Airwatch, MaaS360, Citrix) Microsoft would be singing to the high hills...

2. RudderLessIT

Re: Why the fuss?

There is a lot of people on this site, who are emotionally anti-microsoft and that's okay, but with such a strong bias, based on brand, I hope for the people that they support, that they don't get involved in any decision making processes.

1. Had_to_be_said

Re: Why the fuss? Emotionally anti-Microsoft?

However...

There also huge numbers of dedicated IT professionals that have spent their collective-years working "under the hood", of the actual technologies. And therefore, who have had to repeatedly clean-up other people's, and company's messes. And, some of us have also spent many decades watching, and dealing with the, mediocre, and usually unethical, or even illegal, actions of this particular company [Microsoft]. In short, previously -unbiased- IT-professionals have had to continually deal with the problems that Microsoft has unnecessarily created, and inflicted, upon consumers and businesses... time, and time, again.

So, I'd have to say that trying to off-handedly dismiss, and insult, such a huge number of highly-motivated, experienced, professionals as merely "emotionally anti-Microsoft", is simply an example of pedantic, and sad, fanboi-ism. Which most would agree, would be far worse if... "involved in any decision making processes".

Just an observation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like